Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1,177 Posts
Looks like someone put some wheels/tires on that were too big and it damaged the fender lip so they rolled it after the fact.

·
Registered
383 Posts
That is period correct. I think you should het bonus judging points. There was no nice bead rolling tools back when I was kid. That is what people did, real common. Nobody spent a fortune shoretening there rearends to squeeze another inch of tire under there. Did not matter if it was a Hemi Cuda or a K-code Mustang out came th tin snips. If you wanted a 9-inch rearend you got it out of a wrecked 1965-1966 K Code Mustang or a 1957 Ford Ranch Wagon. Then If your G60-15 tires you bought from the Super Shops did fit you started carving away at the wheel wells. A lot of kids sidewalls had deep slices in them from the cut wheel wells rubbing. There weren't even sawzalls yet. I never did that but I had a lot of friends that did. No big deal you can add a piece back in there. That's just a little piece missing, usually 18 inches of it is missing.

That guy must have been one of the original Shelby employees. Look at the butcher job the factory did cutting out the louvers to put the windows in my '66 GT-350.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
1968 coupe, 1968 vert, 1966 coupe
759 Posts
That is period correct. I think you should het bonus judging points. There was no nice bead rolling tools back when I was kid. That is what people did, real common. Nobody spent a fortune shoretening there rearends to squeeze another inch of tire under there. Did not matter if it was a Hemi Cuda or a K-code Mustang out came th tin snips. If you wanted a 9-inch rearend you got it out of a wrecked 1965-1966 K Code Mustang or a 1957 Ford Ranch Wagon. Then If your G60-15 tires you bought from the Super Shops did fit you started carving away at the wheel wells. A lot of kids sidewalls had deep slices in them from the cut wheel wells rubbing. There weren't even sawzalls yet. I never did that but I had a lot of friends that did. No big deal you can add a piece back in there. That's just a little piece missing, usually 18 inches of it is missing.

That guy must have been one of the original Shelby employees. Look at the butcher job the factory did cutting out the louvers to put the windows in my '66 GT-350.
Sorry to jack the thread... but that’s a Beauty in the back!

·
Registered
710 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Sorry the wife was in a tiff and I had to hurry away. It looks look some one took an air chisel and hacked away the lip for clearance. so now I’m putting in patches to fix stupid stuff instead of rust. what a switch.

·
Registered
5,359 Posts
I think it was bent, then rolled but it had to be hacked to get it to lay flat as possible.

·
Registered
515 Posts
Looks like some hack work some kid did on my car back in the 80's.. oh wait that was me... one of many great things about early Mustangs is that all the metal is available and fairly cheap.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts