Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Sorry to be harping on this... It'll be my last. I'm unfamilar with MCA's scoring so here's what I have. My car was dirty from driving, so if detailed, without changing anything else I'm about a -50, is that good for a non- restored car? With changing the things I have for the car, trunk mat, alt belt... plus bonus points I get to the single digits fast. I'm figuring on a tough judging maybe a -20... is this good or is there a bunch of unrestored cars this good. I hate to be a pest but I'm wanting to really show this thing & if it's not going to really compete, I'll just drive it... it's sooooooo much fun! BTW I've been a successful drag racer for 27 years so it's my nature to be competitive! Thanks for your help.

·
Registered
1,372 Posts
I checked out your website to see the coupe....it is indeed a very, very nice car to be unrestored. However, I have to ask why you have '68 Styled Steel wheels instead of '65's? No offense intended, but I was just curious. Cheers!

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Guy I got the car from liked them better(came from his '69 Mach he bought new) but he gave me the originals & wheel covers I now have on /forums/images/icons/smile.gif Thanks for the comp on the car. Is the P-51 in the background yours? I made some parts for one a few years ago, those things rock!

·
Administrator
19,498 Posts
I have to admit, I don't know that much about judging the unrestored class as I've only done it once. Maybe a Gold Card judge on the forum can help out here.

I'll check my rulebook tonight, but hopefully, you'll get an answer before then. If not, I'll do my best.

BTW, don't worry about asking questions--that's what we're all here for!

·
Registered
1,372 Posts
sadly, I only own the one Mustang, and it was the one built by FoMoCo. I would love to own a P-51 Mustang, but the asking price of about a million+ would cut into my great-great-great grandson's college fund. /forums/images/icons/wink.gif

·
Registered
2,374 Posts
IIRC, the cut off is 96% for a Gold, meaning you can lose about 25 points. 50 points is a Silver, 75 Bronze. This is close, but the official rules will state them better, so get them from Laurie or I'll post them tonight.

·
Premium Member
19,203 Posts
Unrestored means just that: unrestored. No replacing of mats, wheels, etc., except routine maintenance items (filter, belts, etc., but they should be the same manufacturer and design as the original). Here's what the MCA judging rules state:
Unrestored cars are usually low mileage with original factory parts and equipment as ordered. These cars will be judged on originality by Thoroughbred stadnards with reproduction or updated FoMoCo parts not acceptable. Quality and condition will be judges as unrestored, but restored cars. Small imperfections in the paint, undercarriage surface, rust, etc. should be considered normal for unrestored cars. Major dents, body rust, torn upholstery are not considered normal wear.

Safety items can be replaced with correct original parts with no point deduction. Also exhaust may be replaced as long as correct original parts are used.

·
Administrator
19,498 Posts
Sorry to take so long on this but I had a meeting run late last night. Midlife already gave you all the info there is on the judging rules, other than the deductions for new paint, convertible/vinyl top, etc., which if I understand your car, won't be a problem for you.

My best suggestion is clean the car and detail it as much as you can without actually restoring/repainting anything and then enter it in an MCA show and see how you do. Talk to the judges who judge your class and you will get the best info about your car. If you can, I would recommend doing this at a National show rather than a Regional because you will have Gold Card judges at the former, and probably not at the latter.

Good luck!

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
That's about what I figured. I have the MCA judging sheets from a previous show(I won). Got a guy with a lift that says he'll help clean it... have to see I guess. I have found car shows to be as stressful as racing... but fun nonetheless! As close as I can figure it's a silver but there's something about gold /forums/images/icons/smile.gif Thanks for everyones help & posts. Looks like a good summer to detail since there's no Nationals close.

·
Administrator
19,498 Posts
I agree, cars shows are stressful, but they are a heck of a lot of fun, too! /forums/images/icons/smile.gif Yep, I prefer gold to silver any day. /forums/images/icons/laugh.gif

1 - 10 of 10 Posts