Vintage Mustang Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Working on a 65 coupe 8cyl. I put a new shock tower on the passenger side and before I weld it in I wanted to be sure It‘s in the right spot. I took as many measurements as I could before I started but I noticed a difference in spacing between the shock tower to the bracket where the swaybar mounts.(I didn’t take a measurement there before I started)I have different measurements on the driver side compared to passenger side.all my other measurements seem to be correct.thanks for any and all help.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
6,796 Posts
It seems you merely need to move that passenger side bracket to match/align across from the (original) driver's side in all respects. Any concerns about doing that?

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the reply.When I removed the old shock tower the brace for the swaybar was still connected to the radiator support so it would be in the same spot when I put it back together.I’m sorry but I forgot to mention that I replaced the frame rail from the shock tower forward. I saw a factory diagram of the front end and although it didn’t give a measurement of the brackets it did look like they were at a different distance from one another.I tried taking a picture and I marked it in red(sorry lines aren’t great.hard to do with a fat finger)thanks again for replying

Attachments

·
Registered
700 Posts
That measurement on my 66 is 5 11/16
I took that measurement before and after I replaced both my shock towers. Have your shock towers or sway bar mounts been replaced in the past?

·
Premium Member
6,796 Posts
I saw a factory diagram of the front end and although it didn’t give a measurement of the brackets it did look like they were at a different distance from one another.
I see what you mean about the Liskey drawing, and it appears the same way on the 1967 Liskey too. That must be a glitch though, and it wouldn't be the first inaccuracy found in those drawings. I measured on my '68 (same as '67 would be) and the brackets are directly across from each other and equidistant to the towers on both sides. I'm sure my brackets are where they were from the factory.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for the pics geicoman.well it looks like I have some thinking to do.I’m off about 3/4”.I’m hoping it’s the sway bar mount that’s off for some reason.someone previously repaired the pass side shock tower and I noticed that the swaybar supports that go to the radiator support have what looks like stick weld holding them on underneath. i put the supports that go from the shock tower to the cowl on and both sides(driver and passenge) fit perfect.You gave me some really good measurements and I’ll check mine again tomorrow. I will let you know how I make out.thank you again

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Well I decided to move the passenger sway bar bracket to the same spot as the driver side.all measurements are the same now.not sure why that passenger side was in the spot it was. I think when a previous owner repaired the shock tower there may have been other damage.if anybody has any measurements of the supports where they mount under the radiator support that wold be great.thanks for everyone’s help.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts