Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
7,014 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The other day I posted and we discussed various fuel injection systems that maintain the "carb look" by using a standard 4 barrel intake manifold with a throttle body shaped like a carb on top of it. I was interested in a system that used Ford electronics, because they'd be available from a donor car...and replacement parts should be available for a long time to come. Looking at various options, if you had a stock 5.0 with the computer, sensors, and accessories, you could change it over for about $1600.

Well...I got to thinking (DANGEROUS I KNOW) that if the only point of spending the $1600 is to eliminate the stock 5.0 upper intake, which I'm not fond of under a vintage hood (just personal preference), then there is another more expensive solution:

http://www.kennebell.net/superchargers/ford/mustang50/supercharger.jpg

3 grand for the whole schmeel. To me, that's probably a better value. It replaces that stock upper intake and is a lot more than simply a styling upgrade.

I'm not really urgent on this, but someday I'm going to build another engine for my '65. A mildly built massflow 5.0 with a stroker kit, the AFR heads off my 289, and that supercharger would certainly do the fit the bill.

It'd give brutal amounts of power and look very nice under the hood. Any thoughts?

Phil

·
Registered
21,079 Posts
Go for it! after driving my brother's 5.0 with a Vortex, there's nothing like a supercharger! This should run much better then the centrificals on the street.

·
Registered
101 Posts

·
Registered
5,417 Posts
Did you check out the additional options for the 5.0 :horror:
Unless I'm reading it wrong, sounds like 3G's is just the start :(

·
Registered
1,859 Posts
Imo, that Kenne Bell setup is the most balanced, well designed system available. I had opportunity to ride in a Fox 5.0 with that kit on an otherwise stock motor. Quiet, smooth.... and frightening! I vote YES!

- Gord

·
Registered
3,038 Posts
I'd have to recommend an upgrade to the BLOWZILLA model. With a name like that..... :horror:

·
Registered
6,630 Posts
You are telling me THAT looks better than the stock intake? :joker: What an ugly combination of square to round transitions.. and why get rid of the long runners? They actually add performance.

I think the stock style (or use the gt40 for better looks/performance/weight) with a centrifugal would look much better. But thats just my opinion.

·
Registered
7,294 Posts
I was thinking about something like that to solve my "351W EFI Intake won't fit under the hood" problem.
But it does! The aftermarket 5.8 EFI manifolds fit fine!

·
Registered
4,092 Posts
You're not the first to think of replacing that 5.0 intake with that before!
If I only had the money...

·
Registered
1,859 Posts
Okay, as I noted above I really like the kennebell setup. But if we're just talking aesthetics, how 'bout this...

http://i31.photobucket.com/albums/c381/gfmccann/Other/39059e5c.gif

- Gord

·
Registered
522 Posts
That BBK intake is nice, especially since it comes with all new fuel rails, adjustable fuel regulator, and you can get it with a throttle body for a bit more money.
From what I have heard, it doesn't have any proven performance statistics yet over the cobra or GT40 manifolds. It sure looks nice though.

·
Registered
3,142 Posts
http://i31.photobucket.com/albums/c381/gfmccann/Other/39059e5c.gif

- Gord

I have my eye on that as well. Unfortunately, the little I read on it had it teamed it up with a high rpm cam.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts