Vintage Mustang Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 1 of 1 Posts

·
Registered
7,357 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I finally caught some decent weather and decided to tackle filling my factory seam that is at the quarter to filler which makes up part of the rear glass channel. I only needed to do the right one because I replaced the quarter and part of the filler panel.

I'm using"aluminium re-inforced repair compound" which is something of a fancy description for all metal. The description mentions using it to fill the factory seams that would have been originally leaded so it is supposed to work for these.

I have left the left side in lead because it has no cracks, no paint lifting and appears to be in perfect shape still.

The thing I did not do is completely seam weld the channel and that is my main question now that I have already filled the thing. Somebody I was discussing this with thought the channel should be completely seam welded. Was I supposed to seam weld that? What I did do was a small stretch of solid weld for about 3 inches or so at the top of that seam where it ties into the windshield channel. I then put spot welds every 1/2 inch for the rest of that and they are generous spot welds and not just tiny dots. This is a lot more than the factory did on pinch welding this but then they filled it with lead.

I did a test batch of this stuff to see how it was going to work so I wouldn't find any surprises when I started laying it on the car. It appears to be about like chopped strand fiber filler but the chemistry is different than the resin used in chopped strand. An odd thing I see with this is that it is grey in the can and I mixed it very well. I used blue hardener and the final product dried to a pale greenish hue somehow. That's weird.

I did find something I had not found before. The shape of that filler panel had just a bit of a bulge in it and the epoxy primer didn't show it. I found it when I started work on filling and blending the metal filler. I had to grind that fill out, tap the bulge in and re-fill it. Otherwise the contour of that area wouldn't have exactly matched the other side which is original.

I filled the channel with about a 2 inch "feather zone" on either side of the channel so I could blend it and the leaded seam was even wider than that so I figured I should make it reasonably wider than the actual channel.

Not my car and its the left side but this is an illustration of the deal;

Please ignore the double click to edit. For some unexplained reason the image editor laid that onto the base image instead of keeping it as an editable object.

1 - 1 of 1 Posts