Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Gone but never forgetten
25,239 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Today while installing L20068's new thermostat housing I showed him my trick for keeping the thermostat seated in the housing while installing it with the intake still mounted to the engine.

Here is a picture of Sacbill pointing out the patented johnpro TID (Thermostat Installation Device). Although it looks like an ordinary wire, this is a highly sofisticated piece of equipment, which I plan to market soon.

Seriously, it's an easy way to install the thermostat, then just slide the wire out after the housing bolts are tight ... enjoy (click on pics for larger version)

http://mach1.classic-mustang.net/johnpro/misc_mustang/thermo_install2s.jpg
http://mach1.classic-mustang.net/johnpro/misc_mustang/thermo_install3s.jpg

·
Registered
2,402 Posts
Thanks for the "how to". I can recall two housings that might still be among us ... if only.
BTW, why is Sacbill flipping us off? Bad day? Or was it meant for you? :)

·
Registered
586 Posts
good eyes rich, had to look twice but your right he is
flipping someone off ....( lol )

·
Registered
3,514 Posts
Yeah. . .QQQQ2 SacBill!

I just use my fingers to hold it in place. ::

·
Registered
403 Posts
This is very timely advise. I ruined a thermostat gasket yesterday after the thermostat slipped while bolting it on. I filled up the radiator and it ended up pouring out the bottom of the housing. I bought a new gasket to finish the job today and planned on using some gasket sealer to hold it in place, but I like this trick much better.
Thanks for the tip...

Glenn

·
4,133 Posts
I think that I am going to bookmark this pic :: http://mach1.classic-mustang.net/johnpro/misc_mustang/thermo_install2s.jpg
for a response to Mr. Ecology or anyone like him. :p fd

·
Registered
5,205 Posts
Initially, Bill was pointing with his index finger... But in their drunken stupor (each having consumed many beers), Bill decided that it'd be funny to flip off the VMF. I suppose you could call it catharsis, since his SWMBO is not in town and he has no one to take his aggression out on ::

Ahhh to be old... :)

And on a reated note, thanks for the help John and Bill. It was a lot of fun... If only the gauge would've worked and the fitting wouldn't have leaked. D'oh.

Good news is... The oil pressure tap is holding strong!

·
Gone but never forgetten
25,239 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
But in their drunken stupor (each having consumed many beers)
Ah, Anthony, I doubt the 2 beers that either of us had consumed at that point had either of us in any kind of stupor. Actually, I don't think I've been in a drunken stupor since I was YOUR age *LOL*

ahh ... to be young and innocent! ;)

·
Registered
628 Posts
That's what I've always done. It's not bullet proof though. Unless someone else is around, or I'm missing something, it still leaves you with one hand to get the bolts secured. There’s not a whole lot of room there on the driver side between the tstat housing and water pump (on my motor anyway). It’s always a pain in the butt.

·
Registered
2,199 Posts
Well, maybe Anthony can't handle more than two beers. :p

·
Registered
3,897 Posts
Humor and technical advice rolled into one post! ::

Where else can someone learn something valuable and have a great laugh at the same time???? :) You guys are the greatest!!! :) :) :)

·
Registered
5,205 Posts
Well, maybe Anthony can't handle more than two beers. :p

That's about the size of it.

And John, I was just being facetious. I know you didn't have very many brewskies...

·
Registered
412 Posts
Love a guy with finger nails like mine!

1 - 20 of 20 Posts