Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
About 3 yes ago I was at a large junkyard in the sticks removing elec window regulator from a 2003 va conv ro ro repairs on 1 I later gave my 16 year grandson & I ask the guy helping me if they had any mid 60 cars or mid 50 ford trucks on the yard. He said there was an old ford was in the woods in the back of the yard. What I found was a 67 Ranchero 6cyl,auto with underdash air. In fair shape & fairley intact key in the switch, dead battery looked as if it had been driven there & left several small trees grown up and onto it. Called the owner and no sale. This vechile came in my mind about 3 days ago as I've been looking at ac systems for my vert and as a possible candidate for a built 351w& c6 out of my 76 cargo van.(has not been on the road in a long time but don't think it would take much mostly elbow grease).anyway called about it 3 days ago and the man who answered called the owner and yes it's for sale at a really cheap price. Have not had a chance to go back and check it out yet as been working on my 67, helping.my so I law remove a 454 from a motorhome to go in his 85 short wheel base truck that is a work in progress. If it's as intact as it was when I first saw it ,it will be coming home with me and don't know which direction it will go ratrod, as is to drive or sell less ac system don't know yet but probably will be a keeper as it sure gives me a lot of useable parts for the vert if I ever need them . If it pans out I will post some up dates. Don't know how the old car situation is where everyone else lives but in the area where I live most have been crushed to sell to the shredders and I have been looking a long time for a home for the 351 so I'm pumped about the Ranchero.Hope everyone is safe and i want to leave you with these thoughts
You will not starve because you can't go to the favorite restaurant and sit down in there to eat nor will the world come to a end because the wife can't go to the hair salon. But in several states you can get that tattoo you have been dying for.every body hold on* be safe.

·
Super Moderator
9,576 Posts
Keep us updated, I’d like to follow the work.

Break your thoughts down into small paragraphs, it’ll be much easier to read.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
About 3 yes ago I was at a large junkyard in the sticks removing elec window regulator from a 2003 va conv ro ro repairs on 1 I later gave my 16 year grandson & I ask the guy helping me if they had any mid 60 cars or mid 50 ford trucks on the yard. He said there was an old ford was in the woods in the back of the yard. What I found was a 67 Ranchero 6cyl,auto with underdash air. In fair shape & fairley intact key in the switch, dead battery looked as if it had been driven there & left several small trees grown up and onto it. Called the owner and no sale. This vechile came in my mind about 3 days ago as I've been looking at ac systems for my vert and as a possible candidate for a built 351w& c6 out of my 76 cargo van.(has not been on the road in a long time but don't think it would take much mostly elbow grease).anyway called about it 3 days ago and the man who answered called the owner and yes it's for sale at a really cheap price. Have not had a chance to go back and check it out yet as been working on my 67, helping.my so I law remove a 454 from a motorhome to go in his 85 short wheel base truck that is a work in progress. If it's as intact as it was when I first saw it ,it will be coming home with me and don't know which direction it will go ratrod, as is to drive or sell less ac system don't know yet but probably will be a keeper as it sure gives me a lot of useable parts for the vert if I ever need them . If it pans out I will post some up dates. Don't know how the old car situation is where everyone else lives but in the area where I live most have been crushed to sell to the shredders and I have been looking a long time for a home for the 351 so I'm pumped about the Ranchero.Hope everyone is safe and i want to leave you with these thoughts
You will not starve because you can't go to the favorite restaurant and sit down in there to eat nor will the world come to a end because the wife can't go to the hair salon. But in several states you can get that tattoo you have been dying for.every body hold on* be safe.
Anyone have any specific threads as to what exact parts are needed to change a 200 in a 67 over to a 69 250 . Both are auto trans can the bell houseing on the trans be swapped to get the correct starter location? Don't care about carbs or dist as thats covered. Thanks for any imput.

·
Registered
6,046 Posts
For a minute there I thought I was reading Hueinese!.... lol
post up some pics, it'll be much easier to view too.

·
Registered
3,306 Posts
The 200 to 250 swap is a PITA. Engine mounts, bell, torque converter, flex plate, block plate all have to be changed. Exhaust doesnt bolt up at the headpipe. Linkage will need to be modified. None of the accessory brackets swap over. 250 dampners are not reproduced. One can be rebuilt but you must supply the core.

The AOD eats way more HP than a C4.

I started the 200 to 250 swap in my 67 and $1000 into it decided to go with a 289.

its a bunch of $ to make any HP out of a 200/250.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
The 69 ranchero was delivered 9 days ago . I guess beauty is in the eye of the beholder as the wife wants to know why I bought that piece of rusted down junk her words not mine. Have not had time to fool with it much adjusted pass. Door to get it to shut right. Don't look too bad mostly surface rust .one lower rear panel needs replaced along with ends of front frame rails. Tried to crank it after dumping marvel mystery oil down into cylinders, plugs look ok, points burnt will try new ones from 67 vert. Haven't been able to do much checking underneath as it's setting on 2 front flats .Don't think I'll do much more than get it where it operates and looks like a presentable rusted piece of junk then see how the 351& c6 go in. Wish the replacement parts were as easy to find & more in line with the mustang stuff cost wise. If any one has anything 68/69 ranchero/torino you want to sell please contact me at [email protected] might be something I need/want. Thanks.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Put some new points in it but have'nt tried to start it yet .Been working on the vert & helping the son in law get the cab& clip on his 85 square body chevy truck. You can show this post to the wife & she will know that the car disease is not only in the mustangers but others as well. Son in law had a almost pristine 85 long wheelbase with no eng or trans. Tried to get him to put the 327& turbo 400 out of the 71 I gave him but no.i want a short wheelbase big block so he's almost there after yesterday . Short frame & bed from a junk yard with everything on the long one moved over with a 454& turbo 400 . These young people are so funny spending all that money on those old trucks & cars. Sorry jumped track there for a minute kinda like dejauv after i spent all that money on the 71 & gave it to him years ago ,who knows maybe i can get him to put the 327 in the elcamino that was his dads before it's too far gone.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Well the son in law & I got the Ranchero fired up yesterday & I have to say the eng sounded ok nothing like some high rpm's as the only way to gas it was with a water bottle with a hole in the cap to spray gas through the carb as it's seized up. The trans linkage is all out of whack as it started only in gear until we removed it but at least it tried to moved in both directions, can't rear brakes seized up . I guess my next step is see if it holds water .It might have to stay a presentable piece of rusted junk as the wife calls it because at the prices of parts I find I'm gonna take all that gold out of mine when I find it.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts