Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
5,205 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Here's a pretty simple one. My mom called me last night and asked if it would be possible for her to use her laptop around their house and be on the internet anywhere in the house.

I know wireless NICs and such exist, but the problem is, they're all for broadband connections, IIRC.

My question is this: Is it possible for my mom to have a wireless dial-up connection somehow? I'm thinking it'll need a small server to connect to the wall, then the laptop could read data off it from anywhere in the house, via the wireless NIC.

If I have to build such a box, I don't imagine it'd need much juice, maybe just an old first gen Pentium and 64 megs of SDRAM or so.

Anyway, is it possible for the laptop to operate idependently of another computer, being wireless while being on dial-up?

thanks guys!

·
Registered
359 Posts
You can actually do this with an Apple AirPort base station -- it supports dialup connections, and even AOL, through its built-in modem. While it can be used by PCs, It's a little difficult to configure without a Mac. It can be done with third-party tools running on the PC, but I would only recommend it to someone who is really dedicated to the idea.

Still, if it's your only option, it might be worth checking out. Probably cheaper and easier than building a server.

·
Registered
1,728 Posts
what about one of those in-house wiring networks that uses the power lines as network cables? Then use Internet connection sharing on the PC?

Or, let's see.....A wireless router connected to the PC (As a server with ICS enabled) Request comes from the wireless to the router to the PC which connects to the internet and acts as a proxy for the laptop. Seems very feasible.

·
Registered
1,390 Posts
I'll second that! Phone line in, ICS turned on, ethernet out to the router. High speed in the house, modem speed to the world.

·
Registered
2,374 Posts

·
Registered
865 Posts
If she does not have highband but has a desktop she can do it yes. I would be happy to explain it, its actually really easy to setup, just a bit lengthy.

·
Registered
69 Posts
I've heard that verizon wireless make a pcmcia card that uses a wireless dialup connection.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts