Vintage Mustang Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!
  • May's Ride of the Month contest ended with a tie! Go to this thread to vote on the winner! VOTE HERE
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,678 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
please be patient,still collecting parts for my 69 vert and i know i've been thinking on this radiator deal way too much!! just trying to get this done so i can move on to the rest of the car! well i was in town yesterday and stopped by a few rad shops to ask about a cooper/brass vs alum.these guys say that the #1 reason guys go with a alum is there 1/3 of the weight,#2 is looks and #3 is a new alum rad will cool better than a c/b rad 5-8% at best! i will be running a mild built 351W roller motor that i'm picking up and want it to run cool.if i stay with my 4 row oem 24"x 19 and run a elec fan in front of the ac condensor that might be the way to go ? or could go with an alum crossflow with a shrowd and elec fan in front of the ac cond, or go with a alum cross/flow rad with dual elec fans and go w/o the belt fan ? a good alum c/f rad runs 400. the oem style 24" alum downflow runs 550. so i guess my real question is this....you gys running a alum rad did the cooling really make that much of a differance over the oem c/b ? also these shops were telling me that the alum rad's will only last 3-4 years at best because nobody cleans out the cooling systems like they should its not worth the cost of cutting/rewelding alum rad's for cleaning,all your grounds better be good or electrolis will happen,and only use distilled water! vs the c/b rad they can clean 10 times or more and for the cost the alum will not cool a real noticeable amount! my problem is that i have heard that the alum rad's have solved alot of O/Heating problems, but if they only cool 8% at best how could that be ? i'd like to get this done and move on...please give your opinions on what you have done and the results......thanks

·
(actually Slim Jr now)
24,597 Posts
Aluminum is cheaper than copper. Copper is a better thermal and electrical conductor.
That's not opinion is material property!

·
Registered
3,947 Posts
I just installed a universal fit northern rad in my 68 mustang..It fit like it was made for the car and it was cheap!..$275 up here in Canada and it's likely much cheaper in the States..The best part is it cools my healthy 408 stroker very well.The engine runs dead on its 180 degree thermostat opening temp(actually a hair lower).

·
(actually Slim Jr now)
24,597 Posts
Great!

·
Registered
8,677 Posts
I agree, I'm running a 19x27.5" Northern crossflow and it never goes above 180°. On a rare occasion it will get 190 and that is when it's 100° outside and sitting in traffic for hours. That is the fan's fault and not necessarily the radiator. I got the widest radiator I could fit between the frame rails and couldn't be more pleased!

·
Registered
63 Posts
these northern radiators seem pretty good where to you get them, is northern a brand or an auto parts store thanks guys

·
Registered
110 Posts
I got mine at Summit Racing, purchase a universal fit aluminum radiator. I bought one for $169. They are made by Northern.

Summit radiators

1 - 7 of 7 Posts