Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
2,773 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
There's been a lot of discussion lately on repop sheet metal with pro's and cons but I haven't found one yet on the pot metal stuff. I'm looking for opinions on the repopped fender extension for headlights on a '66. This is the piece with the three scallops on it. They have a long, thin mounting tab that either cracks or breaks off. I can't seem to find a good one ebay but they're sold by NPD. Any thoughts on the NPD pieces?
Thanks

·
Registered
93 Posts
I am also interested in the response to this question. I need both sides and finding it hard to justify $275 per side for NOS. On a side note A friend picked up an NOS and it did not fit all that well either. Lots of massaging to get it to follow the lines on the side of an origional fender.

·
Gone but never forgetten
25,239 Posts
Like already mentioned, even the original ones aren't the best of fitting (remember they were cheap, "throw-away" cars, originally). I have repro headlight buckets (what you're asking about) as well as repro headlight doors (outer piece that bolts to the buckets).

The fit is about as good as the originals. I never spent much time actually trying to get mine aligned perfectly, but I'm sure I could align them as good as a OEM one, if I spent the time to do it.

Bottom line ... they're worth the savings over an NOS one.

·
Registered
1,489 Posts
I just went through this very same thing for my 66 fastback. The thing that made me crazy is that everyone sells these along with the headlight doors and the bowls. Anyone ever break a headlight door? You can't but the extension seperately, at least I couldn't find them. Got mine from CJs for the same price as NPD, suspect they all come from the same place. They look fine but can't comment on the fit yet as my car is still in the body shop.

·
Registered
1,489 Posts
Not according to the catalog or the guys at the parts counter. The book lists the extension assembly on page 123 at a cost of $116.95. Look underneath that and it tells you what is included. They sell all that other stuff seperately but not the extension. Anyone find it sold seperately? I would love to take mine back and save a few bucks, I'm gonna need it!

·
Registered
7,981 Posts
I bought repo ones when my car car got in a wreck. I ended up buying used ones off of ebay due to the poor fit.

I have one extra headlight door left over that I'll sell cheap if anyone is interested. :)

John Harvey

·
Registered
685 Posts
Part Number 13100-1A Extension only...$82.95
I only deal with the Ocala store (headquarters) Mr. Schmidt runs a very tight ship there. Ask for Josh, Sean, or Wayne

·
Registered
5,458 Posts
I had good luck with mine from Mustangs Unlimited. Fit as good as the factory ones. Bought them because of the standard breaking of the original ones.

·
Registered
1,489 Posts
Part Number 13100-1A Extension only...$82.95
I only deal with the Ocala store (headquarters) Mr. Schmidt runs a very tight ship there. Ask for Josh, Sean, or Wayne
Man, I wish they would have told me that when I asked them! :pissed: I called the Detroit shop, maybe that's why, crap.

·
Registered
547 Posts
I got a whole grill assembly at a swap for $20 :winkgrin:
Both sides are in good shape, grill was a little tweaked but I can fix it :chainsaw:

·
Premium Member
7,086 Posts
Here's a trick that I have used for years on the headlight buckets:

The upper inner tab always breaks. The threaded fasteners in the fender don't always line up to where they need to be. So I drill a small hole in the inner "corner" of the headlight bucket, near where the broken tab would be. I drill a hole in the inner portion of the fender where the hole from the headlight bucket should line up. I then thread a sheet metal screw upwards through the headlight bucket into the fender, and "hang" the bucket off the sheet metal screw. The tighter the screw, the more it turns the headlight bucket. This is how I align the headlight bucket to the fender and hood. Once it is aligned, if the 3 remaining holes match to the fender, then great, thread in the bolt and be happy. If not, then I drill out the headlight bucket hole to match the fender hole, if possible, and put the bolts in.

Once the door goes on, no one can see it.

BTW: I had a PILE of doors, let them go for $5 - $10 each on ebay. May have a couple left stashed away.

·
Premium Member
2,988 Posts
I cant speak for the big shops,but we have very good and fitting headlight bucket kits.I sell alot of them at car shows where the folks can see and touch what there buying.We sell our complete kits for 90.00,not including the bulb.If you pay over 100 bucks you have paid way too much. Matt Ponderosa Mustang

1 - 13 of 13 Posts