Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm guessing my starter has gone bad.

The last week or so I've noticed that my car was really hesitant to turn over, but eventually it would and then fire right up. Today I was getting ready to give it a good tune up (finally found a tach/dwell meter) and as I hooked it up the car died. The car died from me moving the wire from the coil just enough for it to lose contact. I tried restarting the car and no luck. All I would get is maybe a turn or two and then just clicking from the starter. Now all I get is the clicking from the starter. I remember our old chevy van used to do this and all we'd do is beat on the starter. Are my brushes bad? Thanks for the help.

Slade

·
Registered
2,217 Posts
The first thing to check is the voltage at the battery. If the charging system isn't up to snuff, or the battery is failing, then low battery voltage will do the same thing. If the battery voltage is OK thes yes, it sounds like a bad starter.

·
Registered
3,220 Posts
On Ford starters you will only get the click once from the solenoid if the starter is bad and that is when the key is moved to the start position. Check your battery and cables. If you have a loose alternator belt that could be the reason the battery isn't charging up to 100%. My guess is your battery is weak...

·
Registered
3,628 Posts
the clicking sounds like solenoid to me which probably is caused by low battery voltage which in turn is caused by previous posts conditions - battery, vr, cables/connections, or fan belt. check battery terminal voltage and see where it goes to before and after you turn ignition key to start. my guss is it should be about 12 volts before ign key turned and over 8 to 10 volts in start.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts