Vintage Mustang Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

· Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
OK. I did a search, but none answered my question. I understand about loading the rear suspension before welding, my question is the location of the front mount? When the bar is parallel with the spring, the mount is about halfway off the frame rail. Do I shim up the mount to level, and weld it there? I also thought about a couple of washers to help space it over closer to center. Any thoughts from those who have gone before? For reference car is a 67 coupe, with SFC’s. Thanks.

Don

· Premium Member
15,535 Posts
The Shelby’s with the TractionMaster’s used a lot of washers to get the alignment right side to side. The bars need go straight forward from the rear mount. Use the washers on the front mounting stud / bolt to make sure they don’t angle away to another direction.

They also used a piece of angle iron that was first welded to the frame and then the front mount of the TractionMaster’s was welded to that. Without the angle iron for additional support the Ford sheet metal will tear under hard use.

The bars are not parallel to the ground with the weight of the car on the suspension. Just have the weight of the car on all 4 wheels BEFORE you weld on the front mount and it will be right.

Z

PS my experience is with the TractionMaster’s brand. Not any other under rider knock-offs. Don’t know anything about installing those…

· Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
OK Pics are coming. So perfect positioning would be centered on rear subframe rail? I understand about curb loading on suspension before welding. Thanks.

Don

· Premium Member
15,535 Posts
OK Pics are coming. So perfect positioning would be centered on rear subframe rail? ..”
not necessarily. The under-rider tubes just need to go straight forward from the shackle point. Wherever that puts them on frame rail / Ford sheet metal.
That way the geometry is perfect. Angling the tube to the right or left will create a bind and render the under riders less effective.

· Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Hi again. Photo of what I had to start. Shimmed (washered) mount over and was better. Would like photo of angle iron location. Can’t seem to vision it.o_O Thanks again, Don

· Premium Member
15,535 Posts
Hi again. Photo of what I had to start. Shimmed (washered) mount over and was better. Would like photo of angle iron location. Can’t seem to vision it.o_O Thanks again, Don
my photo of it that was posted on the VMF died with the PhotoBucket free account discontinuation. I’ll look around for it, but it fit up against the frame rail and was welded to the frame first. Then the front mount of the TM bars were welded to it.

Z

1 - 11 of 11 Posts