Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Premium Member
706 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I put the car up on ramps and kept my wife in the car holding the brake (the parking brake doesn't work very well). I unhooked the shift rod from the tranny, and couldn't get the thing to change except to the positions I could get using the shifter. Apparently it is an internal problem (DUHN DUHN DUHN). If it is something fairly minor I'm sure I can handle it, if not I'd be better off letting a "real" mechanic handle it. If I get in over my head, I guess I can always put the pan back on, put in tranny fluid, short the starter solenoid, and drive it to the shop. What do you guys think? Thanks for the help! :)

'65 289 4V Edelbrock 1405 600CFM C-4 yada yada yada

·
Registered
10,587 Posts
Ok....sounds good...

Pick up a pan gasket and 5 quarts of ATF...

Be careful when pulling the pan...try to get the fluid to run out the back first (guessing the front of the car is on the ramps)....

Take your time and look at everything carefully as you remove the pan and the valve body....post what you see and if you have any questions.

Good luck!

Pat
http://www.jps.net/binay/webdocs/strtmstng002_sml.JPG

G

·
0 Posts
Reading your past post on your tranny problems. I had the same problem happen to me the farthest i could get was neutral. That adjusting bolt is connected to a "strut" (that is what it is called in the shop manual, looks like flat steel to me). The strut fell off and jammed up the shifter not allowing me to get up passed neutral. Drop your pan and watch for these falling pieces, if these pieces do fall you will need to drop your valve body and put these struts back in i believe the longer one goes to the adjustment screw and the shorter on goes to servo piston (not to sure about that, someone correct me if I am wrong) replace your valve body making sure the shifter and kick down operate properly before sticking the pan back on. replace pan then adjust according to the specifications

Hoovebeats are louder than heartbeats anyday!!!!!!!

1 - 3 of 3 Posts