Vintage Mustang Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part September's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3,438 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
There is a '66 coupe sitting in a back yard up the street from me that you can only see in the fall when the leaves are down. It's only been back there a couple of years and, shortly after I first saw it back there, I asked the owner if he planned to sell it. Well, of course, he said he was going to restore it because it had been in his family since his parents bought it new.

This morning he stopped to tell me he's moving to Florida and will sell me the car with two NOS fenders, a spare transmission, and a spare engine that needs rings for $2500. The floors need replacing, the quarters need patching, and I haven't checked the cowl yet. It's a plain-jane 6-cylinder coupe with no options.

What do you think this car is worth?

·
Registered
3,102 Posts
Rust is the killer. You should be able to buy a rust free California car for less than that, but that would need everything else. I paid $1400 for an absolutely rust free straight '65, 289-2V that is mechanically sound. It needs paint and an interior. I spent money for all new brakes etc. and to pull the heads to inspect the engine. Hope this info helps. Fixing body cancer is an expensive deal. By the way if it is a stick with the original transmission, it is prone to tranny problems. The C-4 is a much better combination in that year. Good Luck.

·
Registered
960 Posts
I spent $2000 for my 6cyl a long time ago and I think I overpaid. Body was OK but the car was mechanically sound with hardly any rust. Interior was ok also. $2500 is too high in my opinion, especially for a 6 banger. He can be talked down. He might hold to his ground now but when hes getting to his final weeks before the move he will take anything he can get.

Mike

·
Registered
916 Posts
See what you can talk him down to...but sure would be nice to save it from becoming a pile of rust.

·
Registered
757 Posts
Coupes are a dime dozen, a 6 cylinder is the lowest rung on the Mustang totem pole. I love the look of coupes, but a 6 cyl 3 speed coupe with no options except for rust is not worth your time for $2500. Buy a V8, buy a rust free car. Check out Randy's stuff at www.californiamustangs.com
I wouldn't buy the 6 cyl. with rust for $1000.
Good luck!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts