Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm seriously considering buying a 65 Mustang convertible that I found locally and would the appreciate the group's opinion on it's value. Here's the specs:

VIN: 5F08C327342
Data Plate: 76A 3 D6 19K 66

General impressions:
Car has a stock 289, C4 tranny, power top, was originally a Poppy Red, repainted at some point to a "Competition Orange". Body and undercarriage are rock sold. I have a 66 coup with undercarriage and trunk rust so I was pretty attentive to those areas. The trunk metal looks like new, absolutely no sign of rust. The owner didn't know the history but said he thinks everything is original. It was so clean that I think it may have had new metal welded in. The trunk area was sprayed with what looks like truck bed liner. Screws on the gas tank have the spray on them but look like they just left the factory.

The car ran great, plenty of power, no hessitation and the transmission shifted flawlessly (it may have a shift kit in it).

Overall, the car needs a paint job in my opinion (don't like the color and the driver's door has what looks like a rooky patch job. No other sign of bondo, dents or rust.

Interior is okay, but dash needs to be repainted. Top is power and works perfectly, but there is a small rip in the back window. PO never used the top as it was purly a sunny day "let's go to the DQ" car. Current owner has had it 11 years, claims to have put no more than 1,000 miles on it.

Mileasge is apx. 59K, and is reported to be accurate (but who knows).

Finally, the car as true Ford Factory A/C which appears to work (compressor engaged, fan blows, but the air was not cold). From working on my other cars, I'd say it just needs a charge.

Only mechanical things that seemed amiss was the power steering pump squeeled on sharp turns and the ignition key fell out when I bumped it reaching for the radio and the car kept running! I'm assuming it just needs a new ignition switch.

This is not a show car by any means, but it certainly has the potential to be. If my coup was this solid I would never think of selling it (my plan is to sell the coup if I buy the vert).

I'm in the Midwest, by the way, I know rust free cars are easy to come by in the south and west, but for up here in the rust belt, this seems like a great find.

Can you guys tell me what you think this car is worth?

Thanks!

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Poppy Red is orange....yep, but it was not repainted with stock color. I believe he said it was a chevy "Competition Orange".

As far as price, he's recently dropped price from $14,900 to $13,900, I've offered $13,000. He let it slip that he paid $11,000 for the car eleven years ago.

This is 66i6, by the way, my old username is still broken since last week.

Thanks, guys.

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
i think $13k would be a decent buy, maybe a little high for a car needing paint though. a/c is always a plus.

btw, the lock cylinder is the problem with the key, not the ignition switch. might have been picked before or somehow the tumbler springs are stuck.

·
Registered
4,560 Posts
i'm not current on values for the earlier models, but spray-on truck bed liner in the trunk is a red flag to me. the po could have just liked the look, or it could be covering a bad repair job. i would look closely for a lip near the top of the quarterpanel on the inside that would indicate replacement skins. that doesn't mean that it wasn't done correctly, and replacing quarterpanels is better than leaving rust, but it would affect the car's value, in my opinion.

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Point well taken. I did look pretty close and could see no sign of rust, but did not look for a lip indicating replacement. What I'm calling truck bed spray may be something else (it looks like speckled paint and is hard as nails). Again, based on my 66 coupe, it looks like a new car on the inside of the trunk, as well as from underneath. Even if it has bee repaired, I know all too well how much this costs and I'd much rather pay more for a car already repaired structurally than to have it done later.

Don't know if he'll accept my offer, he's supposed to let me know by weeks end. If it's not accepted, I'm putting the money into repairing my coupe (Turkey, short for Turqouis).

Thanks to all above for the feedback!

·
Registered
757 Posts
I think Poppy Red has the same mixing code as Competition Orange. I think both colors are the same. $13K doesn't sound too bad. I think you can find lots of good cars for that price range, maybe with better paint. I doubt you would use the AC much. I am also from he Midwest, and with the early Mustangs I have had, I have never used A/C.

Rob

1 - 10 of 10 Posts