Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
On ehay, # 2424958756.

Nobody say "whatever someone will pay", please.

I'm of two minds on this. On one hand, someone has spent a lot of money on this. He won't get nearly what he's asking, but you still have to consider that it has a lot of expensive parts.

He lives not far from me, and I'm going to look at the car tonight. I'm trying to sell my '66 C code, vert, and have been casually looking at other cars. The auction on ehay probably won't meet reserve, which I think is somewhere are $20K.

I talked to the seller and he said the high bid was at 12000 right now. He said he'd sell it to me right now for 20. What does everyone think, should I offer him 16? 18?

My feelings are that cars like this are hard to sell because you have to find a buyer who wants exactly the modifications you've made. In this case, this car is very much what I want, but the seller doesn't really know that.

All opinions are appreciated, even those that are wrong. ::

·
Premium Member
971 Posts
Now my real opinion? $20K seem a bit high. You will know when you look at it, but a car like this is only worth what it's equivelant stock version would be, and sometimes less. Now, if it has exactly the modifications you want and you would do that to a different car anyway, you need to consider how cheap you could do this stuff yourself. Since you have the luxury of driving and seeing this car in person, you will be the best judge of what else it "needs", and how much of it is worth you paying for up-front rather than doing it yourself. From the pictures, it appearst to be quite "tired" and in need of quite a bit to make it worth $20K. Show up with lots of $100 bills when you go see it so you can make a cash offer he can't refuse. Real cash tends to lower asking prices a bit, especially when the offer is only good until you drive away in the car you showed up with!

·
Registered
5,196 Posts
Depends on what you see when you get there...

The fender flares are a big minus, IMO. While the "parts list" sounds good, the engine compartment looks kinda unorganized - could be indicative of other workmanship...

I'd say 16K.

Some of the "good" FB clones are going in the 15-20 range lately. If this was a FB, I'd say 13-14, and add 3K for the convertible..... But "Depends on what you see when you get there"... ::

·
Premium Member
7,773 Posts
I'd want to fully inspect the car - it looks like it has some rough edges... has an impressive list of stuff, but poor craftsmanship can take a lot of time and money to 'correct' even in a restomod like that. Also, what is it with people making 'clones' of 65/66 Shelby's and using GT style exhaust trumpets? Goofy.

Something looks weird about the stance of the car - too high in the rear, leans to one side, something... maybe it's camera angles or the fact it's sitting in a rough lawn or something...

Looks like a 'slaughter the dash' type radio in there... but can't be sure...

There's only one teeny-tiny picture of the underside... not sure what that's all about... like I said - inspection is everything...

4.33's? Ouch. Even with a 5 spd, that's some drag racin' gears!

Other than that, it looks like a fun car. How much is it worth? Whatever someone will pay! I wouldn't want to pay all that much for it as I don't like the way a lot of it was done - meaning I'd have to undo things... so I'd be better off getting a 'vert and doing my own...

But that's just me... which goes to what I said and you don't want to hear: it's worth what someone will pay. I would imagine anything well under $20K might be worth it, but that depends on a LOT of things about the car...

-bob

·
Registered
7,983 Posts
For the sake of 65/66 convertible owners everywhere I sure hope a car like that is worth at least $20,000.

Some really nice "stock" type restored 675/66 converts have gone for a fair bit the last few weeks on e(b)ay. If you really want a car like that it will cost you a lot more than $20,000 to build it.

John Harvey

·
Premium Member
7,773 Posts
That's the danger of a modified car - it's the epitome of 'worth what someone will pay'... unlike a stock convertible, the modified one has all sorts of 'owner' touches. As Cloney, myself, and others pointed out, the work on this one looks 'not so great', meaning there will be work to be done (read: lots) to make it 'yours'. Spend alot more to build your own? Probably. But how much beyond the $20K are you going to spend on that one to get it right?

A stock convertible is easier to value on options and condition against other stock pieces in it's class. Modifieds are little pieces of art, or pieces of %$U*(

-bob

·
Premium Member
4,928 Posts
I may get a bit "Flamed" on this...But IMHO other than the car itself...any "premium" involved here is possiably the motor. Converting (body wise) a 65-66 to "Clone statis" is a piece of cake,and half the expence compared to 67 and later.( trust me on this one) Other than the guage set and the steering wheel the interior is very basic...(No Guage pod...roll bar?) And the motor compartment is Average looking at best...I just don't see anything overly "Special" to warrant any "Big" money.
I agree with Cloney...those rear flares would have ta go.Which also kills any "value" of stock statis.
IMHO offering anything more that 15 would be generous on your part.

·
Registered
3,482 Posts
If the car had been done right and well, $20k would probably no be unreasonable. However, here's my take--

Externally: As already mentioned, it's my opinion the fender flairs hurt the value of the car. The rear flairs were probably a patch for rotted rear quarters. at the very least, the originals had to have been cut out to make room for the 10 inch rear rims. The GT exhaust is resrictive for any kind of performance motor and is inconsistent with the GT350 theme. The square Ford mirrors have to go. Deduct $3500 for the body modifications; $200 for the exhaust; $300 for the mirrors- for $4k for the exterior.

Interior: The seat covers weren't even installed, just thrown on, maybe over the old covers. I don't care for the "vintage" Ford instruments. They're fine in a street rod, but the turn-of-the-19th-century lettering and needles are... IMHO... off. There's something wrong in the shifter and boot-- probably hacked out, big time. Deduct $400 for seat coverings, $300 for instruments, $300 to get the shifter straight- for a total of $1k in the interior.

Drivetrain: Air cleaner is... off. The rear gearing probably makes for an impressive launch, but would be extremely hard on the tranny besides being WAY over the top. The Lakewood Traction bars are trash. Look to install an Monte Carlo bar. And with the Racing Carter Fuel pump, expect to install a fuel pressure regulator. It's way over carbureted with a New Holley Dominator stage 2 with 4 corners idle, so look to replace the carb. Deduct $400 for the gearing; $200 for the traction bars; $100 for the Monte Carlo bar; $75 for the fuel pressure regulator; $375 for the carb-- $1150.

I'd say the car's only worth $13,850 if everything thing else is in good shape, but I tend to lop 10% off when pricing something which would put it at $12500. Just IMHO. ::

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Alright, VMF Agent 19304 reporting.

I did drive out to Knightdale to look at the car. I'm glad I did, but I certainly won't be purchasing it. It took me a personal inspection and test drive to determine what many of you already noticed, just from the pictures. I have to say, I'm impressed... I couldn't pic out so much detail from the pics on ehay.

The flares are not to everyone's taste, that's for sure. I have to say that they don't look bad in person. They're very agressive, though, and might be more suited to fastbacks in general. Of course, how else are you going to fit 10" wheels and 275 rubber in the back?

As for the rest... well, I'm not writing a formal report here, just thought someone might be interested to see the results. This car could be worth $20K... more, easily. It's not, in my opinion. This one is a polished turd. 289fan was right on about just about every single item he listed. Cloney was also right, the quality on the car is indicative of someone building a pretty car to resell, not something for them to drive for years.

The chrome and glass is pitted, there's overspray all over. The gauge bezel seems to be fiberboard, not any stock or aftermarket piece I've ever seen. And yes, Tom, those gauges are ugly.

The car is pretty, if it's your style. It's loud, it's fast, and it can leave rubber in the first three gears without much effort. But it's not the car I would build given the time and resources. I might have bought the car, were the price right. He's not really budging... his take is that he'll get $20K, or he'll store it and sell it later. That's ok with me. I did enjoy driving it, though.

Thanks for the pointers, everyone. VMF to the rescue.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts