Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Sorry I know you guys hate these questions but I'll ask once and only once. I've always come here when theres a problem with my car and you've always given helpful responses. I greatly respect all of your opinions so I figured this was the place to come. Now on to the matter at hand. My '66 has become a bit too much for me to handle. The rust has defeated me. It's a '66 coupe, originally a 6 cyl, 3 speed auto. Everything has been swapped over for a V8. The body panels are straight. The paint is in poor condition with some parts sprayed in primer. This is where things get ugly. The frame is rusted badly. The cowls and floor are both rusted through. I tore out half of the floor carpet to see how bad things where. The seats are in pretty nice condition with only a small tear in the drivers seat. All the things I have added are listed on my website that I will link below. That's all I can think of right now. My website has more info and some pictures. I paid $1400 for the car a little over a year ago. I'm not looking for a buyer I'm just looking for somewhere to start if I decide to sell her. Sorry for the long boring post but any help would be appreciated.
-Scott

·
Registered
938 Posts
Start with the price you paid, add half of the total cost of the parts. Nothing for labor and sentimental value. Knock off 2k for the fllor/rails rust, another 2k for paint and body andd tell us whaat you end with.
Sice you did all you did, don't see why you don't ddo the rust problems..really not that big of a deal. But would do it before any paint work.

·
Registered
4,193 Posts
I agree with ambush – why quit now? You've clearly got the bug (or did at one point). Think about repairing the rust problems. Weigh that cost against what you could get for the car now. Such structural problems will pull the rug right from under you when you try to sell; and you've already invested so much time into it. Sounds like good reasons to keep it – at least for a while longer. Don't sell because of depression or discouragement. You're bound to regret it.

Don't worry about appearance for the time being. Dive into those repairs and make it into a learning experience. Embrace the rust! :p

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Embrace the rust lol. Thanks guys. My trouble is I'm working out of my driveway, which means it's tough to work on the car in the winter months...I've tried. I don't have much space to store things (small shed, cellar already full of old junk). I'll give it some time and decide where I want to go with this. Thanks for the encouragement.
-Scott

1 - 4 of 4 Posts