Vintage Mustang Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part MAY's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
1966 289 3-speed
273 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I apologies as I know there are a ton of these threads. But I've been cruising old threads for days looking for info about tire and wheel size and it seems there are so many variations and mods with everyone's car that I cant seem to find a straight answer my question.

I currently own a very stock 66 with factory style disk brakes (so I'm told) up front and standard/factory rims and hubcaps. The current tires are 205-75-14.

I would like to upgrade to either Styled Wheels or Magnum 500 wheels. What I want to know is what diameter, width, and backspace are BEST for a stock 66 driver with factory style disk brakes. I do not want a wide as possible rim or fat as possible tire. The car drives and handles quite well now and I don't want to mess up ride quality for looks.

I've read on this forum that people like 15x6 but I can't find that size online anywhere online (even out of stock). When I shop online at places like NPD and CJPP it seems the most popular sizes are 15x7 or 15x8. But 8" rims seem way too wide. Are the backspaces the same for Styled and Magnum? Do I even need 15" to clear those breaks or should I stay with 14"? Any help would be appreciated!

·
Registered
21,365 Posts
A big problem is that 15" tire selection is dwindling. It's not a popular tire size anymore. That's a big problem. That's one reason why you're seeing a lot of people going to 17". I'm not trying to sell you on 17's just stating the reality

I have 15" and I'm going 17's.

·
Registered
1966 Fastback
25 Posts
I apologies as I know there are a ton of these threads. But I've been cruising old threads for days looking for info about tire and wheel size and it seems there are so many variations and mods with everyone's car that I cant seem to find a straight answer my question.

I currently own a very stock 66 with factory style disk brakes (so I'm told) up front and standard/factory rims and hubcaps. The current tires are 205-75-14.

I would like to upgrade to either Styled Wheels or Magnum 500 wheels. What I want to know is what diameter, width, and backspace are BEST for a stock 66 driver with factory style disk brakes. I do not want wide as possible rim or fat as possible tire. The car drives and handles quite well now and I don't want to mess up ride quality for looks.

I've read on this forum that people like 15x6 but I can't find that size online anywhere online (even out of stock). When I shop online at places like NPD and CJPP it seems the most popular sizes are 15x7 or 15x8. But 8" rims seem way too wide. Are the backspaces the same for Styled and Magnum? Do I even need 15" to clear those breaks or should I stay with 14"? Any help would be appreciated!

I would like to upgrade to either Styled Wheels or Magnum 500 wheels. What I want to know is what diameter, width, and backspace are BEST for a stock 66 driver with factory style disk brakes. I do not want wide as possible rim or fat as possible tire. The car drives and handles quite well now and I don't want to mess up ride quality for looks.

I have 14 by 5 inch styled steel wheels, 3 3/4 back space I believe, on my 66 fastback with factory discs up front and drums out back. I am running Coker tire BF Goodrich 205/70/14 dual redlines. wheel6.JPG

·
Premium Member
13,948 Posts
When I had stock 14” Magnum 500 wheels on my ‘66 Shelby GT-350’s I used a 195/70-14 tire that worked fine with the same disc brakes you have on your car. You can get a decent Firestone tire in that size. If I were you I’d just keep the wheels that you already have.

if you are determined to go to a 15” wheel, and want the Magnum 500’s , just get the 15x7 for all 4 wheels and use a 215/60-15 tire on all four wheels. Those will fit your brakes no problem.
on my k code I used plain steel wheels 15x6 and had no issues with the brakes fitting.

yes, the selection is limited in 14 and 15 inch. But honestly do you really need to choose from 10 or 20 or 30 different tires ? Unless you are using the car for a daily driver or racing it, most generic tires will do just fine.

Z

·
Registered
1966 289 3-speed
273 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
When I had stock 14” Magnum 500 wheels on my ‘66 Shelby GT-350’s I used a 195/70-14 tire that worked fine with the same disc brakes you have on your car. You can get a decent Firestone tire in that size. If I were you I’d just keep the wheels that you already have.

if you are determined to go to a 15” wheel, and want the Magnum 500’s , just get the 15x7 for all 4 wheels and use a 215/60-15 tire on all four wheels. Those will fit your brakes no problem.
on my k code I used plain steel wheels 15x6 and had no issues with the brakes fitting.

yes, the selection is limited in 14 and 15 inch. But honestly do you really need to choose from 10 or 20 or 30 different tires ? Unless you are using the car for a daily driver or racing it, most generic tires will do just fine.

Z
I'm not opposed to 14 or 15 inch, and I'm not worried about tires. BF Goodrich is just fine for a weekend driver. I just want something a little wider than the factory manhole covers that will clear the brakes and not hurt the ride lol.

·
Premium Member
13,948 Posts
I'm not opposed to 14 or 15 inch, and I'm not worried about tires. BF Goodrich is just fine for a weekend driver. I just want something a little wider than the factory manhole covers that will clear the brakes and not hurt the ride lol.
I’ve posted the sizes I’ve used that didn’t rub and worked with the brakes.

225’s are problematic in front, some say they worked. I had rubbing issues with them .

·
Registered
1966 289 3-speed
273 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I’ve posted the sizes I’ve used that didn’t rub and worked with the brakes.

225’s are problematic in front, some say they worked. I had rubbing issues with them .
How wide are the stock magnum 500? Again I'm not determined on 15" ... that just seems to be the popular size thats offered online.

·
Premium Member
13,948 Posts
How wide are the stock magnum 500? Again I'm not determined on 15" ... that just seems to be the popular size thats offered online.
i believe they are 14”x6”

you can do google search for 14” Magnum 500 wheels and get many hits. Summit has them in 14x6 for about $160 each

·
Registered
1966 289 3-speed
273 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 · (Edited)
i believe they are 14”x6”

you can do google search for 14” Magnum 500 wheels and get many hits. Summit has them in 14x6 for about $160 each
Thanks. I'll check Summit.

Any reason why I shouldn't go 14x7?

·
Premium Member
13,948 Posts
Thanks. I'll check Summit.

Any reason why I shouldn't go 14x7?
yes; you said you weren’t interested in putting on the widest possible tire.

I used a 15x6 wheel with a 215/60-15 tire, and the tire had a perfect profile with the 6 inch wheel. Tires wider than 215 will have to have a 7 inch wheel, but the wider tires also open you up to possible rubbing issues in the front

one point: Don’t order online. Call and speak to a sales rep and find out if the wheels you want are back ordered. Many are. It doesn’t matter is the price is the lowest if the vendor can’t deliver the tire when you want it.

Z

·
Registered
1966 289 3-speed
273 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
yes; you said you weren’t interested in putting on the widest possible tire.
Ok I guess I'm confused because earlier you said to get 15x7 with a 215/60-15 tire. Now your saying 15x6 with a 215/60-15 tire and that I don't want 14x7 because it's too wide. Am I miss understanding something? I would think the only difference between 14x7 and 15x7 would be sidewall profile.

·
Premium Member
13,948 Posts
You earlier were talking about 15x7 and 15x8 and said you didn’t want the widest tires . if the wheels you want only come in those widths just get the 7” wheels. If you have the option of getting g a 15x6” wheel that’s what I would use with a 215 tire. That combination worked well for me.

if you are going to stay with 14” wheels, you can go with either 6 or 7” size. I prefer the 14x6 and a 195 ot 205 tire.

First decide the wheel diameter you want, then go from there

Z

·
Registered
1,579 Posts
I just looked on tire rack and there are only 3 choices for 225/60R15. For 205/65R15, which I have on my 65 because it's about the only size that doesn't rub with 3.75" BS 15x7 Torq Thrusts, there are 51 different tires to choose from, from all major brands.

15x7 styled steel wheels with 225/60R15 tires looks very good on a stock 65-66 Mustang that is slightly lowered, but 205/65R15 looks good too. A little smaller and a little more sixties but still obviously "fatter" than stock wheels and tires.

·
Registered
11,150 Posts
I just looked on tire rack and there are only 3 choices for 225/60R15. For 205/65R15, which I have on my 65 because it's about the only size that doesn't rub with 3.75" BS 15x7 Torq Thrusts, there are 51 different tires to choose from, from all major brands.

15x7 styled steel wheels with 225/60R15 tires looks very good on a stock 65-66 Mustang that is slightly lowered, but 205/65R15 looks good too. A little smaller and a little more sixties but still obviously "fatter" than stock wheels and tires.
215/60/15 is a good choice for that size range

·
Registered
341 Posts
I just went thru the same thing. I am going to stick to 14's for the look in the wheel well. My fronts are 205x70x14 with no rubbing and factory disc. The rears are 235x60x15 with drum and no issues. I am going to use 205x70x14 all a round. They just look better and more proportionate to the wheel well.
Right now 15's are back order status from most dealers with various ship dates out to August 2021 - something about a metal shortages.
Good luck and it can drive you crazy - lots of helpful comments here for sure.

·
Registered
1966 289 3-speed
273 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
You earlier were talking about 15x7 and 15x8 and said you didn’t want the widest tires . if the wheels you want only come in those widths just get the 7” wheels. If you have the option of getting g a 15x6” wheel that’s what I would use with a 215 tire. That combination worked well for me.

if you are going to stay with 14” wheels, you can go with either 6 or 7” size. I prefer the 14x6 and a 195 ot 205 tire.

First decide the wheel diameter you want, then go from there

Z
Got it thanks.

·
Registered
1966 289 3-speed
273 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I just went thru the same thing. I am going to stick to 14's for the look in the wheel well. My fronts are 205x70x14 with no rubbing and factory disc. The rears are 235x60x15 with drum and no issues. I am going to use 205x70x14 all a round. They just look better and more proportionate to the wheel well.
Right now 15's are back order status from most dealers with various ship dates out to August 2021 - something about a metal shortages.
Good luck and it can drive you crazy - lots of helpful comments here for sure.
What widths are we talking?

·
Registered
1966 289 3-speed
273 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Anyone know if the backspace is different for Styled and Magnum 500 wheels if they are the same width?

·
Premium Member
13,948 Posts
Anyone know if the backspace is different for Styled and Magnum 500 wheels if they are the same width?
you will have to ask the vendor or manufacturer. Not all SSW’s or M-500’s come in the same BS-ing.

What widths are we talking?
if you are asking Jerry1834 he mentions the widths he used in His post. The 15” in all widths are on back order from most vendors . That’s why I suggested you order via telephone instead of the net and ask if they have the wheels you want in stock

Z

·
Registered
341 Posts
In the 15's you can get 7's from some suppliers but not all. 15x6's almost impossible at this time from all the suppliers. I sure tried.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts