Vintage Mustang Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
803 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Whats the difference between American racing torq-thrust "D" wheels and Vintage 45's? Besides the name, maker, price.

·
Registered
166 Posts
The 15x7" size has different backspacing.
TTD= 3-3/4" BS.
V45= 3-7/8" BS.

The difference is only an eigth of an inch, but sometimes that makes all the difference.

·
Registered
803 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
how about their 15x8's

·
Registered
787 Posts
The biggest difference to me,and what I hate about the Ds the spokes on the Ds have a curve in them as they go outward from the center(never liked that little curve in the spokes) Thats why I went with the wheels pictured below(straight spokes with sharp tops. these are vintage T-70R from American racing. sorry just saw that you were asking about Vintage 45s(which have the curve like the Ds) I prefer the vintage 40s myself(straight spokes)

Dave

·
Registered
1,652 Posts
I got my V45's from vintage wheel works at a discounted price because they were blemished. IIRC, about 4 years ago they were 700 shipped. Puts them on par with the TTD price. The differences are what people have already stated the color on the spokes are different.

·
Registered
6,838 Posts
IIRC the TT "D's" are called "D's" because each spoke is shaped like a "D" from the side.

American racing sold several types of wheels under the Torque Thrust name including....

Torque Thrusts, the classic straight gray spoke wheels

TT II's which are the polished ones you see so often today.
TT D's with the outwardly curved spokes

200s which are affectionately called the "Daisy wheel" because the spokes are curved on the sides and look like a daisy.

TT "Lemans" wheels which were very early versions made of magnesium with flat spokes on the front pictured below since most people have never seen them.

·
Registered
6,838 Posts
They were cool! When you polish them they had a really beautiful nickel like luster. But also, being REAL magnesium I was a little afraid to run them. They are currently on a 65 Shelby in California.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts