Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
160 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We have replaced the main wiring harness in our 65. the original harness was for lights, we relaced it with one for gauges. Our new instrument panel will use a volt meter. The new harnes has a heavy gauge black w/yellow strip wire with a male bullet connector on it in the general area of where the ammeter would go. There is also also a heavy gauge black wire with a female bullet connector. For an ammeter to determine current, there has to be current flowing thru the wire. Is it correct to assume that these two connectors should be joined? any one with experience with this? LanceM?

·
Registered
160 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
appreciate the diagram, I do have them, but none of the schematics show clearly wires with the color codes going thru the ammeter

·
Registered
10 Posts
The diagram shown in the previous link is not the diagram for the gauge version of the instrument panel. The 1965 ammeter is an inductive ammeter. The wire you describe goes through a loop on the back of the gauge. This is a 1965 only setup. In 1966 Ford changed the connection to two posts. The best description, with pictures, of this that I have found is on the Virgina Mustang website.

http://www.virginiaclassicmustang.com/howtogauge.asp

If you don't use the ammeter in the cluster, I believe that you still need to connect the bullet connector to complete the rest of the circuit.

Steve

·
Registered
453 Posts
Ralph, I'm sorry. Did you not get my email? When using the 65 GT wiring harness, ammeter or not, those two large gauge wires plug into each other. That's the main power. Email me at [email protected] if you have any further questions.

p.s. Here is a picture of the back of a 65 GT cluster showing how the large wire loops through the ammeter. Just connect these two large gauge wires. They won't fit any other wiring in the harness.

All my best.

·
Registered
160 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks lance, I had figured out the two wires go together, however, the phot is great as it clears up how the wires went thru the ammeter.

Thanks Ralph

1 - 8 of 8 Posts