Vintage Mustang Forums banner
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
234 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have bought following antenna:

It is std round base antenna from Scott Drake, which consist 3 segments.

I almost can't find any FM station, while on same radio and piece of wire I could find many of them. Also when I drive those segments interfere with each other and resonate. Antenna is installed and screwed properly (week ago).
Is it such bad quality of that product OR there is something wrong with my only ?
is it better to buy other type of it ?

·
Registered
198 Posts
I have the same antenna and same problems with it. It looks nice and fits nice but doesn't hardly work.
I have an old used Ford antenna from a pick up truck. Plugged it in and the radio works flawlessly with it. Doesn't fit the Stang, however.

Anyone know of a better reproduction that actually works?

·
Registered
337 Posts
Not sure about factory AM/FM radios but factory AM radios have an antenna adjustment or tuning screw. It’s located next to where the antenna plugs into the radio. It only rotates about 180 degrees so be careful when adjusting it. It takes a small flat bladed screw driver. Tune the radio to a station between 1400-1600 and adjust the screw till you get the best reception.

·
Registered
5,726 Posts
The first two posts lists the antenna as being sold by "scott drake". There's your answer right there as to what is wrong. Almost everything with those two words have the reputation of being garbage now.

·
Registered
1,313 Posts
The antenna should be set to 31" to optimize FM reception. Another case where more is NOT better.
I had never heard what the optimum length was, so Googled and found this... for what it's worth:

The length of antennas for different things, like your car or a walkie-talkie, are very intentional. The radio sends out wavelengths, and antennas are crafted to best pick up these wavelengths from the air and translate them into the sound you hear.

In a nutshell, the longer the antenna the more signals it can catch. So for your truck trying to catch the wavelengths of your radio station, typically what is referred to as a quarter-length antenna is best, so that's about 32 inches long. Too long is better than too short, and anything less than 26 inches is less than ideal for tuning in to your local FM radio stations.

22GT, curiosity overcame me and I had to run the math- the FM band ranges from 88 to 108 MHz, and a quarter wave length of that would pencil out from 33.5 to 27.3", so you were right in there.

·
Registered
11,140 Posts
The first two posts lists the antenna as being sold by "scott drake". There's your answer right there as to what is wrong. Almost everything with those two words have the reputation of being garbage now.
Can't stand the guy or the company.........

·
Registered
11,140 Posts
I have bought following antenna:

It is std round base antenna from Scott Drake, which consist 3 segments.

View attachment 804359
I almost can't find any FM station, while on same radio and piece of wire I could find many of them. Also when I drive those segments interfere with each other and resonate. Antenna is installed and screwed properly (week ago).
Is it such bad quality of that product OR there is something wrong with my only ?
is it better to buy other type of it ?
I'd say get a NOS one but those are apparently stupid expensive now.........
Almost guaranteed that if you have better reception with a piece of wire stuck in the antenna feed connection of the radio, the SD antenna is the problem child.

·
Registered
3,057 Posts
deleted

·
Registered
198 Posts
I am using a factory AM/FM radio for reference.
Been researching some alternatives to the Scott Drake Part.
ACP "makes" one, priced similar to SD, maybe the same thing...
California Pony Cars also has one, again similar price to SD, maybe the same thing... I thought California Pony Cars made their own stuff?
Daniel Carpenter makes one, 4x the price, made in USA, supposedly doesn't rattle. I would rather know if it works than if it rattles.
I will probably hunt an original for a while and try the Carpenter part if I don't have any luck.

·
Registered
11,140 Posts
I am using a factory AM/FM radio for reference.
Been researching some alternatives to the Scott Drake Part.
ACP "makes" one, priced similar to SD, maybe the same thing...
California Pony Cars also has one, again similar price to SD, maybe the same thing... I thought California Pony Cars made their own stuff?
Daniel Carpenter makes one, 4x the price, made in USA, supposedly doesn't rattle. I would rather know if it works than if it rattles.
I will probably hunt an original for a while and try the Carpenter part if I don't have any luck.
The ACP one is made in Taiwan. (Taiwan is not even remotely the same deal as "made in CN")
It does not appear to be the same as the SD unit.

The Daniel Carpenter item looks like the hot ticket..... truth be told.
$83 for that level of quality is a good deal in my opinion. Somebody spent some time getting the details right.

·
Premium Member
8,271 Posts
Daniel Carpenter is Mustang lover himself, and much like @69bossnine Rick, obviously cares about quality. He has quite a collection of Fords and automobilia at the impressive manufacturing facility in Charlotte if you ever get the chance to visit.

·
Registered
1,617 Posts
I'm curious about what the ohm reading is between the center conductor and the outer ground shield, between the center conductor and the antenna mast and the outer conductor to chassis ground.

·
Registered
234 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Not sure about factory AM/FM radios but factory AM radios have an antenna adjustment or tuning screw. It’s located next to where the antenna plugs into the radio. It only rotates about 180 degrees so be careful when adjusting it. It takes a small flat bladed screw driver. Tune the radio to a station between 1400-1600 and adjust the screw till you get the best reception.
Factory AM inside I have threw out as in Europe those f are useless and whole intererior was rusted. I have put modern radio and Today moved LCD behind from glass:

Circuit component Passive circuit component Electrical wiring Hardware programmer Computer hardware

Looks like a Oem
Audio equipment Home appliance Gas Electronic device Auto part

Turned on
Car Vehicle Automotive design Automotive exterior Personal luxury car

·
Registered
234 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
The antenna should be set to 31" to optimize FM reception. Another case where more is NOT better.
In theory Yes, but FM transmitter has higher power and usually piece of wire should be enought. Now cars has diff antena from rear glass via building in.
Finally I have changed antenna's plug and ot looks much better.

·
Premium Member
1967 Coupe
189 Posts

·
Registered
234 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I'm curious about what the ohm reading is between the center conductor and the outer ground shield, between the center conductor and the antenna mast and the outer conductor to chassis ground.
Do you mean in antenna ?
It is not connected, so my multimetr measured nothing up to 2Mohms

·
Registered
3,057 Posts
Should be open circuit or infinite ohms on an ohmmeter. In the frequency domain, the impedance is 50 ohms (some commercial systems like TV cable use 75 ohm impedance). The car acts as a ground plane and the mast acts as the vertical element. You should check that the center conductor to mast is 0 ohms and the outer shield of the connector to the base of the antenna is 0 ohms. If your ohmmeter measures a bit more than 0 ohms like 1-2 ohms that can be chalked up to the ohmmeter...close enough. Put the ohmmeter in the lowest range for ohms when measuring the resistance.

Reactions: Mike the old grump

·
Registered
36,978 Posts
I'm fascinated that an antenna could be the problem. I've dealt with repro antennas for years. Typical problems are sections so loose they rattle, or plating so bad they corrode quickly. Never even imagined one that had high resistance between the cable and mast. The manufacturer would almost have to try to make it that bad.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts