Vintage Mustang Forums banner
21 - 32 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
3,057 Posts
I'm fascinated that an antenna could be the problem. I've dealt with repro antennas for years. Typical problems are sections so loose they rattle, or plating so bad they corrode quickly. Never even imagined one that had high resistance between the cable and mast. The manufacturer would almost have to try to make it that bad.
Ya know, it seems more and more that things are bad right out of the box these days. I hear about it and I see it firsthand.

If I were President, I would be incentivizing companies big time for all industries, not just car parts, to bring manufacturing back to the US and seriously reduce dependence on oversees manufacturing. I probably won't be seeing this any time soon.

·
Registered
36,978 Posts
Ya know, it seems more and more that things are bad right out of the box these days. I hear about it and I see it firsthand.

If I were President, I would be incentivizing companies big time for all industries, not just car parts, to bring manufacturing back to the US and seriously reduce dependence on oversees manufacturing. I probably won't be seeing this any time soon.
The problem with that is the vast majority of car parts buyers shop price, price, and price. Not many people are willing to spend $3000 for an exhaust system. I used to sell Mustang parts via phone and internet. We would determine which parts were better, and offer only the better part. People would defer to our competitors parts, 10-20% cheaper. We knew this because they would call us and ask how to make the crappy parts work. When we would politely suggest they call the seller, they'd say they did, and the seller was clueless.

Your solution is being tried now, to change us from gas cars to electric cars. The idea is to make gas so expensive that electric cars become competitive. So, bringing back manufacturing would entail taxing the hell out of imports.

I know a fellow who reproduces historic clothing. He has shirts made in an Asian country. A wool shirt made there runs $90. That same shirt made in the USA runs well north of $200.

·
Registered
1,617 Posts
I worked in mobile communications for 20+ years. I've seen antenna connections built so poorly that were basically dead shorts. I've also seen Chinese radio products that were made to look like something functional, but weren't. Verify what you have with an ohm meter. Even a $7 meter from Harbor Freight can tell you why an antenna is bad. Most of the time it easy to fix.

·
Premium Member
8,100 Posts
Years ago, I had a donor '65 radio converted to have FM reception, an AUX input port and a power Antenna circuit added. The Antenna raises when the radio is turned on and auto closes. It keeps that fender area very clean and doesn't get in the way when cleaning etc. The conversion is very stealthy, in that, it has a tiny LED reception strength indicator in the face, otherwise, it is stock looking. It plays AM too with the click of the ON-OFF knob, Music or Internet stations can be played through the AUX-IN port from your cell phone.
Maybe a consideration for those wanting a nice mod like this.

·
Registered
234 Posts
Discussion Starter · #32 ·
Just to sum up.
Problem solved by new antenna plug. Today tested in rural areas, works without problem :)
It is strange as previous plug looks good and solid. It was angle plug so maybe cable was broken inside that angle.
Repair cost: 0.2$ ;)

21 - 32 of 32 Posts