Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Purchased this 65 coupe mid December 2018. This is my 1st classic car and my 1st "build" so i'm learning as i go and learning that i have been quick to do some things and have to redo them. Anyway, I'm in no way an expert but i figured i would show my progress. The intent of my build is to have a decent looking car that is reliable enough to cruise around town on the weekends. Below are a few of the Items i noticed when i purchased the car. They seemed to be somewhat expected and that it wouldn't be impossible to fix in my garage.

(1) Started life as a straight 6 and was converted to a 289 and a C5 trans at some point prior to my ownership. (No battery so didn't start motor and trans was "rebuilt" at some point.)

(2) The car had a bad paint job (4 paint jobs including the original) i think. There was alot of filler between each paint job. (did i mention chevy stripes??)

(3) Both front fenders and the bottom front of the 2 doors, and the floor pans where rusted out.

(4) Car was hit in the real left Quarter panel. Looked as if the pulled it a bit and added about a gallon of filler. The tail light panel didn't look bad but was tweaked from the hit.

(5) Dash pad supports where cut off and dash had a smooth pad. Under the pad was body filler on top of bare metal. At some point water got through the body filler and started rusting the dash.

On its way home.

Got it in the garage. (Did I mention Chevy stripes?)

Interior.

Motor 289 with 302 heads.

Seemed pretty clean inside. Not much gunk at all.

Cylinders looked decent. There was some minor scoring on the cylinder walls. The motor looks to be .030 over so i plan on swapping out to a fuel injected roller motor at some point. This one should be fine for now.

Timing set had more play than i liked. Replaced the gear, chain and while i had it apart tossed in a new Crane cam, push rods and lifters. Photos still show old cam in place.

New water pump and some paint. Already ruined the paint on the intake manifold from dealing with gas leak issues. Still need to address the sketchy fuel line setup. It runs right by the exhaust manifold. They used some kind of copper tube by the manifold. Debating on getting some hard fuel line and an fittings or just buying all new fuel line. Probably go with the latter.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #2 (Edited)
Once I got the new cam broke
In and verified good oil pressure etc I moved to stripping the engine bay paint. Once stripped I coated with POR15 and fresh seam sealer.

New front floor pan/firewall welded POR15 and seam sealed. Super dirty from grinding various parts.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,765 Posts
COol- welcome to the vmf- I too have a 65 coupe that was a 6 converted to 8. You will find everything you need here. Lots of data already on older posts but many helpful ppl here- hows the cowl?

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
COol- welcome to the vmf- I too have a 65 coupe that was a 6 converted to 8. You will find everything you need here. Lots of data already on older posts but many helpful ppl here- hows the cowl?

Cowl is surprisingly in good shape. There was some surface rust but nothing too bad. I’ve cleaned it up and sealed it and have tried my best to get the inside cleaned up. Bit of a pain.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
Started knocking out the rust at fenders and doors now. “Warning” my welding skills are less than desirable. But it beats the body filler that was smeared in there.

·
Dimples
3,465 Posts
Looks like you're making good progress. Keep it up.

You may not care about this, but may like to know that block/heads/intake on a 65 would normally be painted black, not blue. Mine's painted 90's Ford Gray, so I'm nobody to judge. Just sayin'.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
After finding these spots and the realization that if I wanted this car to ever look decent, I would have to get all of this dang paint and body filler off to find any other rust. I only have 3 photos of the car stripped. Possibly because I hated it. It took so much time as there where so many layers of paint. The photos below are all I had. The paint was completely removed.

This is the left rear quarter that was hit and filled with tons of body filler. This is after removing as much as possible. What’s left is stuck in the crevasses.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Looks like you're making good progress. Keep it up.

You may not care about this, but may like to know that block/heads/intake on a 65 would normally be painted black, not blue. Mine's painted 90's Ford Gray, so I'm nobody to judge. Just sayin'.

Thank you sir. It’s currently all black

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
Below are 2 photos of when I replaced the rear valence and taillight panel. This was prior to stripping the body and quarter panel replacement. Wont let me edit these in any prior post so my apologies for being out of order.

I knew the rear quarter needed to be replaced along with the wheel well. Wasn’t too bad. The fitment at the trunk was a little off so I had to make a few small relief cuts to pull the edge at the trunk back. Welded up up fine. It was also interesting to see how much lead was at the quarter to roof seam. Was kinda cool melting it off.

Once the quarter panel was replaced I stripped the hood and have it all in a epoxy primer. I’ve also replaced the passenger rocker, front valence and rear tail light panel. At this point I’m pretty happy with the body. All of the rust is cut out, new metal and in epoxy primer. There are some dents that need to be addressed on the roof and some dings in the fenders and door. Nothing significant so it it’s the driving me crazy.. yet.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)
Car came with a 66 grille and really preferred the 65 honeycomb grille. Bought a cheap repop. Looks okay but I’m going to have to find one that is a quality build.
(Sorry for the crap photo. I had to lighten it to even be able to see the grille)

All brake lines where replaced with classic tube ss lines, and front disc brake system is by CSRP.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #13 (Edited)

Went through all the wiring, replaced all the bulbs,starter solenoid, turn signal switch,tail light sockets alternator regulator connector and ignition switch. Once I got all that straightened up I wrapped the harness in Tesa tape inside the cab and in the engine bay. (Used high temp tesa tape at engine bay. Didn’t get much photos as it’s not very interesting. It is nice to have all working lights!

One thing i do need to check is the fuel gauge. It’s showing 3/4 full and there no way. I’ll read up on it and figure out what kind of resistance I’m supposed to be getting.

·
Registered
1,746 Posts
Those of us between projects or currently broke can live vicariously through your work ! Keep it up !

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #17 (Edited)
I'm a little late to the party ,, looks like a fun build. One concern i have is the lack of cowl to shock tower bracing, get an export brace in there ASAP

Thank you. I have a brace on it. I had it pulled off when I was removing the old seam sealer at the cowl. It’s on now. That’s what I love about this forum. So many folks with great knowledge! I still need to get the shock tower covers back on. Had them pulled off for POR15.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Coming along quite nicely, what are you're plans for paint?

I’m not too sure. It’s currently just in epoxy primer. It still needs some body work and I’m debating on doing that myself. The car was originally red but the wife doesn’t want to go back to that color nor do we like white it was in when we bought it. Most of our cars have been a gray,silver or white except for my current truck (Lightning Blue).
So more than likely it will be a silver or gray non metallic variant. I like the lithium and lead foot.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Finally got the interior scrubbed up and cleaned up. Sprayed some black epoxy primer, let it cure then seam sealed, then hit with epoxy again. Not pretty but should work.

·
Registered
9,779 Posts
Thank you. I have a brace on it. I had it pulled off when I was removing the old seam sealer at the cowl. It’s on now. That’s what I love about this forum. So many folks with great knowledge! I still need to get the shock tower covers back on. Had them pulled off for POR15.

If you swap those valve covers side to side it would be easier to put oil in and the PCV valve would be out of site :shrug:

1 - 20 of 27 Posts