Vintage Mustang Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
993 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well I can't believe this happened and I am not sure if it is a problem or not. But I thought I'd ask here to be sure. So I have removed my heater box and in the process my dipstick broke. Not thinking I did not plug the hole. Well just so happens that one of my heater hoses from the heater core dripped into the transmission filler tube right down into the trans oil. I am not sure how much went in there. I don't think a whole lot is in there. So is it safe to leave it in there I have not driven the car and don't plan to for awhile since it is pretty well torn apart. Should I drain the fluid and fill her back up? Well I hope I did not screw anything up..

·
Registered
540 Posts
Flush it out. Water will cause it to rust.

·
Registered
163 Posts
Coolant is definately not good for the transmission! I just went through this with my C4 (the transmission cooling line in the radiator sprung a leak, co-mingling fluids). I drove it for a while before I noticed, but by then the transmission was acting pretty wierd. I had it flushed, drove it a couple weeks, and flushed it again before it started to shift right again. It seems to be doing okay now (I've put about 3000 miles on it since),but I'm pretty sure I've shortened its lifespan. The transmission guy says that water is hell on the clutches (or was it bands?).

Anyway, I would drain it. Preferably, I'd let it drain out overnight at least.

·
Registered
1,204 Posts
Yes get it out as soon as you can don't wait. If you haven't started the car you only have to drop and drain the trans pan but if you have started it you will have to drain the pan change the filter and drain the converter as well.
Al

·
Registered
501 Posts
Drain it. Its well worth the case of fluid to have the peace of mind.

·
Registered
993 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I have not started or driven the car. My Pan has a drain plug so would just removing the drain plug and draining all the fluid do the trick or would I still need to drop the pan? Man I know I should have plugged that hole.. What are the chances the anti-freeze would actually drip right in that hole. Oh will Murphy's law. If it can happen it will especially with these cars.

·
Registered
933 Posts
I think that I would drop the pan. You will then be able to clean the inside of the pan as well as change the filter. No sense taking any chances.

Scott

·
Registered
1,004 Posts
Bummer.. I just put that new pan and filter on the car less than 250 miles ago..
If you've already done that then I would just drain it...

1 - 9 of 9 Posts