Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1,209 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
couple of questions here.
with antique plates do you have to get your car inspected? also do you have a registration sticker on windshield with antique plates? do you still run a front plate? thanks

·
Registered
550 Posts
No inspection (safety or emissions), no front window sticker! I display a pair of 1965 plates. At rear plate is a small metal tab with TxDOT registration number. I carry the Tx State statutes allowing this type registration in my glove box in case it is an issue while on the road. :: I also have a source for vintage TX plates -- PM me if interested. :: http://home.houston.rr.com/mazabob/65plates.jpg

·
Registered
1,266 Posts
Maybe I'm doing too much...My 65 plates are basically the same as vanity plates... it's the little blue sticker I get annually from TxDot at about $65 that goes on the windshield that's actually the registration. I get the car inspected annually just like always. Am I doing it wrong?

·
Registered
1,209 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
i think if its registered as a classic you dont need inspection. are you paying that a year or every 5 ?are you registered classic or antique?

·
Registered
1,209 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
damn john im gonna have to make a trip to austin just to see that friggin garage,,,nice...

·
Registered
419 Posts
There are two kinds of vintage car registration in Texas (I hope I get this right because I'm doing it from memory). One is Antique and the other is classic. Both allow vintage plates, but the classic still requires state inspection and you are unlimited on use. Antique does not require an inspection and is for five years. You are limited to parades, driving to car shows, but is not to be used for regular transportation. You are given a little metal tag that you attach to the rear plate. You are not required to run a front plate, but when you register the vintage paltes you must have two. Hope this helps. See the ladies at the courthouse...they'll give you all the correct paperwork.

Jeff

·
Registered
4,193 Posts
I think you're right Jeff. My '66 black plates are no different than the plates on our Windstar. I have to get inspected each year, and I have the 2 small blue stickers in the corner of my windshield. I can't really be "antique" because it's my daily ride.

·
Registered
2,127 Posts
Come on up anytime you are in the area. I hope to have all the side panels finished this weekend. The only ones left are the panels inbetween and above the doors. The next big job will be the roof. I'll enclose a small area in the back right corner and air condition it. Oh, keep an eye peeled for a used urinal with the water valve attached.....yup I got plumbing too. John

1 - 10 of 10 Posts