Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
There's a guy selling me a 69 mach I which is an M code. He claims it is a 351C and according to the code it would be a 351 4v engine but doesnt specify if Windsor or Cleveland. I cant take the valve covers off to see if it has canted valves and when i counted the bolts in the valve covers there were 6 believe. My question is, did 69 Mach I´s come with 351C engines or only with 351W engines?

Thanks, this is my first post.

·
Registered
446 Posts
one, congrats on joining this great forumn. It is a huge wealth of information.

ONe easy way to see if it is a windsor is to look at the thermostat housing where the upper radiator hose hits the engine. If the radiator hose goes to the intake manifold it is a Windsor, if it goes directly to the block, it is a Cleveland.

There were no mach 1's in 1969 to have the 351C powerplant.

The 351 Clevland was introduced in 1970 when the 390 was dropped from the options list.

·
Incorporated Sell Out
17,130 Posts
Only came stock with the 351w....that isn't to say the motor can't be a 351c since someone may have installed it at some point.

If the radiator upper hose goes straight into the intake its a w, if it 90 degrees and go into the block its a Cleveland. If the valve covers have 6 botls its a w, if 8 its a cleveland

·
Registered
1,043 Posts
From what i have read here, 99.5% of the 69's had w's, but there were a very few late cars that got the c's. If it really does have a C, try running the vin on the car to see if it is a late car, if it is, it may have been a stock motor. This topic has come up before, try doing a search and you might find some good info.
best of luck

- Jason

·
Registered
446 Posts
I hope this does not sound disrespectful, as I mean no disrespect.

The second edition Mustang red book, shows two 351 engines availiable in 1969. One being a 2bl 351 Windsor code H, and a 4bl 351 W with a code M, with 290 origional horsepower.

Then in 1970 the 351 Clevland was introduced for the first time "While the 390 was dropped an all new 351 joined the line up" that is the exact quote from the Red Book. and the 351 Windsor 4bl was dropped.

So most likely it would be a Windsor.

·
Registered
1,654 Posts
well, gee, should we all take EVERYTHING that is in print???

I think what one of the posters may be referring to is that towards the end of the 69 model year run, there WAS a shortage of Windsors. I have personally met two original owners with Jul 69 production dates with CORRECTLY date coded 351C engines in them. In this hobby, you will discover to NEVER say NEVER to something Ford did/did not do in production. IF you find something in doubt, check the date codes - rather than cast in stone, they are cast in iron and don't lie.....

and for everyone's info - even Kevin Marti cannot confirm or deny the use of 351C at the end of the 69 model year as Ford made NO distinction between the two in the VIN. This talk reminds me of SO MANY people that told me that a 1970 351W shaker doesn't exist - it does and I have one sitting on the shelf because they DID use Windsors in 1970 Mustangs.....

randy

·
Registered
4,670 Posts
Kevin Marti says that there never was a 351 Cleveland installed in a 69 Mustang. He even challenged people that claimed they had one to pull the engine to have the build date on the engine checked. So far no takers.

G

·
0 Posts
OK,,check this out,,,,,i had a 69 Mach,,,,Meadowlark yellow,,,,rusting in piece(peace),,but dead original with a 211*** serial number and dark woodgrain interior,only option was PS,Pdb.,,H-code.This junk had a factory cleavland in it that would melt the right rear tire off.I believe Dearborn switched over sometime around the 210*** serial numbers from others that i have talked to.I believe it is entirely possible to get a 351-C after a certain time in 69.I know that this 69 i had was totally original,,,but incredibly rusty.LOL.

·
Registered
2,374 Posts
6 bolt valve covers = Its a windsor.....!

·
Registered
858 Posts
ive heard both stories...mainly the later end models of the 69 mach 1s recieved the 351C since the 70 mach1s were just comming out, and they were mixing/matching engines...but then again...doesnt ford always mix and match if they have left overs? lol take for example the romeo engines of today lol, i guess the only way to proove it...look at the build sheet? :: but then ya gotta think to...if the person who bought the car knew that engine existed as an option, maybe he wanted the newest thing on the block to be put in his car...ford always wanted every pony different, and gave sooo many options to make it realistic lol

·
Registered
1,654 Posts
Kevin Marti says that there never was a 351 Cleveland installed in a 69 Mustang. He even challenged people that claimed they had one to pull the engine to have the build date on the engine checked. So far no takers.
the only problem with that is, a very small percentage of the total Mustang owner population inhabit the internet let alone even know who Kevin Marti is.... ;)

randy

·
Registered
823 Posts
Cease fire......cease fire!!!!

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
The car is dated May 1969 so i guess it probably has a windsor. I'll check tomorrow when i go talk to him again. What things should i look for besides the number of valve cover bolts, valve arrangement, and if the water goes to the block rather than the intake manifold? Im starting to believe its a Windsor :(

Just out of curiosity, what´s the gas mileage for both the 351C and the 351W?

1 - 15 of 15 Posts