Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
1,687 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Some how I managed to talk the wife into letting me look at another mustang this weekend. I owned a 2000 V6/Auto mustang about 12 years ago and I really liked it. I've always been casually looking for another one and I happened across it online the other day. It's a 2002 GT convertible, triple black with a 5spd and 124k miles. Having no experience with the mod motors, what should I look/listen for when checking this thing out?

·
Registered
632 Posts
I used a 2004 Mach 1 as a donor for a Factory Five Cobra. So not exactly the same thing, but the 4.6L 4-cam is a member of the mod motor family. My donor only had 38K miles, so much fresher than the car you are looking at. My research showed the mod motors are good for well past 200K if cared for, that is all the scheduled oil changes with filters. My engine ran like a top, I loved it. With 124K on the OD, I would look for maintenance records and determine how many owners the car has. With higher mileage cars, how they have been cared for is critical to not buying somebody's problem. The car is 17 years old now, so all the normal wear and tear items should be looked at closely. Look to see if expensive maintenance items have been done, like timing belt/chain. I would put the car on a lift and look at all the isolation rubber parts, shocks, and of course any signs of rust or accident repairs.

Good luck, could be a great second car.

·
Registered
30 Posts
^What he said, but I'll add:

-That 02' should have the updated aluminum coolant cross-over intake (in front), but if not while doing your inspection, its something to look for.
-Nothing to alarm you but just and FYI that five-speed should be the updated TR-3650 which was an update in 01' (slightly more stout than previous years) They hold up to power-adders pretty well....

I've been looking at them off and on as well, but I think I'll have to get rid of something first.

·
Registered
1,687 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I went and looked at it today, certainly needs a little more work than could be seen in pictures but most of it is to be expected with an older car. My biggest concern though was it needs a new top, some weather stripping and maybe a new hydraulic pump for the roof. It went down ok but really struggled to come back up. It runs and drives fine, has a borla catback exhaust and some 05-09 wheels on it. I got them to come down on the price a bit but decided to do some research on getting that stuff fixed before I pull the trigger.

I did notice the aluminum cross over, car was too low to see the transmission. I will have it put on their lift if I go back so I can check out underneath better. No strange noises or movements while driving, hit the freeway as well and all felt good.

·
Registered
4,446 Posts
Didn't have one personally but know of plenty. Funny but for dogging on I think the V6s are more fun because the power seems more controllable, more linear.
Somewhere around those years they had a TSB(don't think it was a full recall) and extended all the warranties to 100K on GTs because the composite intake either warped or cracked. Luckily two friends had the problem @ 80 and 90K so free fix for them but the problem is still out there.

The teeth on the seat latches can wear out, might be a fat guy only problem.

Other than that I've only heard about peripherals or maybe coil packs failing.

Lots of value and lots of potential for the money in those but for close money I think the later '05+ is it though

·
Registered
2,199 Posts
That same 4.6 is in millions of Crown Vics and many of those ended up as taxis. Its good for 500,000 miles.

If it were me, I would look for an 05-09 GT.

Nearly the same money for a nice car, 300hp vs 260hp. Much better ride, much nicer seats, redfire with a tan interior, was my favorite.

·
Registered
1,687 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Oddly enough I found a twin to the first car I looked at, they are both triple black 02 GT vert's with 5spds and they have almost the same mileage, less than 1k difference. The second one is priced higher, higher than book so it had better be something special or I'll be calling them out on it. I haven't had the chance to see it yet, they just got it in on trade and had sent it to get detailed before they put it on the lot. They are only a few miles apart as well.

·
Registered
1,687 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
No dice on either car, I decided the first one was gonna take too much work/money to get it where I wanted and the second car vanished. When I called back I was told they were going to whole sale the car and it never should have been listed on their website. Now the wife and I are refinancing the house to pay off some bills and get me a larger down payment. I will also be expanding my search to include 2005-2014 mustangs as well.

·
Registered
2,549 Posts
I prefer the '94-'98's myself and have been on the lookout for a nice one at a good price. Low-mileage cars are still high and the Cobras?!?! Low-mileage are plentiful, but expensive.

My daughter has an '01 GT hardtop. Just over 150K miles and runs great. Not particularly quick, but peppy.

But, I'll say this: When I see an ad for these gen of cars and the seller is telling me all the mods that he's done, well, I'm outta there. The FI cars are too complex for me to buy from someone that's done a cam swap or added a chip or who-knows-what? I figure that the mods didn't work out like they want so they're selling their problem. Or, they've beat on the thing until they're worried about its reliability. But bone stock is rare on these cars by now.

·
Registered
2,199 Posts
I had a 97 Cobra vert. I didnt care for it at all. IMO Foxes and S197s are much better and more desirable cars than the SN95s.

·
Registered
2,549 Posts
What is it about the SN's that you didn't like, B? Aren't they basically a heavier, quieter Fox chassis? What was unsatisfactory? They certainly have their detractors and adherents, but I've never owned one.

·
Registered
2,199 Posts
I prefer a pushrod V8 for a hobby car. Easier to work on, less expensive to make hp.

I always felt the "small" SN95 cars had to many parts and was much more difficult to diagnose problems. My car had a check engine light from emissions that I was never able to figure out. The 4.6 cooling system has way to many places that leaks can occur, the crossover pipe is a horrible design. To install a double din radio, the dash has to be cut and a surround from a 99+ can be used, it works but is a PITA. I dont like the seats at all, especially the poor quality leather.

All said, a Fox can be a 400hp car pretty easy, can be converted to 5 lug disc pretty easy and the Fox can be had pre airbag, so less chance of a total in a minor wreck. Many SN95 chassis components can be bolted to a Fox, so you get the best of both and keep the SBF.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts