Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,209 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i just pulled my 2,80 1 tire fire and about to install my equa loc 3.00. i did a search and found nothing good about them.. any one running one and got any good words??my car is not a dragster i just want 2 tires spinnin when i want !!

·
4,129 Posts
Not running the equa-loc just yet, it is still sitting on my workbench waiting for my next door neighboor to help me put it together. From what I have read and been told they are "OK". The equa-lok is the predecessor to the trac-loc. Yes the trac-loc is a better unit. :: If you have a shop manual and look at the break down pic of the equa-loc you will see 4 metal plates and 3 "friction" or clutch plates with 5 "fingers" on them. The trac-loc has 4 clutch plates and 5 metal plates and only 4 "fingers". Replacement parts are NOT available for the equa-loc. If you have not seen Kevin's page, then take a look. fd

·
Registered
10,413 Posts
I had one in a 65 GT cv. It is still doing what it's supposed to do, dutifully laying 2 lines on command as the new owner aptly demonstrated at our shopping center meeting last week. I swapped it out of a 66 GT I sold, putting the 65 3:00 open rear in the 66. At some point it had been reworked as the person who sold me the 66 pointed out when I bought the car 10 years ago. It has always worked well except for a noise that was determined to be the large nut at front of center section not being torqued to very high specs. After that is was fine. Have been told that parts for the equa-loc are scarce.

I have an 8" traction-loc center section that, according to Kevin Stang, after giving him the data, determined it to be of 1977 vintage. BTW, Kevin is very knowledgeable on Ford 8 and 9" rears.

·
Registered
10,413 Posts
I had one in a 65 GT cv. It is still doing what it's supposed to do, dutifully laying 2 lines on command as the new owner aptly demonstrated at our shopping center meeting last week. I swapped it out of a 66 GT I sold, putting the 65 3:00 open rear in the 66. At some point it had been reworked as the person who sold me the 66 pointed out when I bought the car 10 years ago. It has always worked well except for a noise that was determined to be the large nut at front of center section not being torqued to very high specs. After that is was fine. Have been told that parts for the equa-loc are scarce.

I have an 8" traction-loc that, according to Kevin Stang, after giving him the data, determined it to be of 1977 vintage. BTW, Kevin is very knowledgeable on Ford 8 and 9" rears.

·
Registered
935 Posts
For the kind of driving you do, an EquaLok is fine. The only problem is if the clutch plates wear out the unit gets loose and starts slipping.
The EquaLok has the same amount of load on the clutch plates at all times. This load is a compromise. It has to be light enough that the wheels will differenciate when going around a corner, and yet high enough to make the tires want to spin together. Except for more serious racing purposes and high HP cars, this is fine.
The TractionLok has a small amount of load on it at rest and low power just to get the tires to spin together on snow and wet surfaces. As more torque is applied to the gears, one of the axle gears is forced into the clutch pack, locking it tighter as pressure is applied. This means that the unit will slip smoother in easy cornering but lock hard during hard acceleration. This smoother action and greater locking ability is why Ford went to the TractionLok in 1969. The units are being reproduced and parts are still available in aftermarket.
I have not seen any EquaLok clutch plates for some time and understand they are expensive when available. If your unit seems to work fine when you put it in, the plates are probably still good and should last a while. If the unit one-tracks then you probably should look around for a TractionLok for replacement.

·
Registered
1,209 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
WELL i just ran my tag info with stanger53 and he says i have a trac-loc! nevermind..

·
Premium Member
3,651 Posts
FYI...clutches and plates ARE available for E Lok's. I have a guys email for his aftermarket ones. $89+shipping when last checked.Need some??? ::

·
Premium Member
3,651 Posts
On Kevinstangs site, the pic of a equal lok shows a rough side casting (center half) that he says is not machined. I had the exact same one as the pic and thought it was the e lok. But I took it apart for inspection and its a trac loc. So this info must not be correct. Just thought id point this out.

·
Registered
1,209 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
yea mine has the rough instead of smooth casting but turns out mine is a trac loc as well!it appears in that cerain write up he is talking about a normal non locking rear which is smooth vs a trac loc,dont know for sure but seems like there is some confusion in that website??

1 - 9 of 9 Posts