Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
6,630 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, i know i can buy a new flywheel, or a new balancer, to solve the 5.0 conversion 50oz to c4 problem. Now can i find a c4 50z flywheel in the junkyard? how about a 28 oz balancer that will work with the serpentine setup?

im just not too keen at all on paying $150 for a damn flexplate flywheel thing.

·
Registered
2,217 Posts
I'm sure you know this but you MUST use a 50oz flywheel and ballancer on a 5.0 . If you use the 28.8 parts it will shake itself to smitherines, (wherever that is......... *G*).

If the crank was out a ballancing shop could reballance the 28.8 flywheel to the 50 oz ballance but you would likely have the same $$ in all the work as the 50 zo one would cost.

The stock 50 oz ballancer is for a serpentine belt, at least the later stuff past '89 (?) or so. That should be a $25 junkyard part, or a $80 new part.

G

·
0 Posts
You can use the stock 5.0 164tooth 50oz flexplate as long as you have a 164 tooth bell and a C4 converter with the 11.40 inch bolt spacing. OR
If your C4 converter has the 10.5 inch bolt spacing (which also means you have a 157 tooth bellhousing), then you can get the 157tooth 50oz balance flexplate. (this is what I used, it was something like $110 from Summit)
Either bellhousing uses the same starter I found out, so at least that's not costly.
Or, as the other poster said, you can get your current flexplate rebalanced to 50 oz.
On the front end, the 50oz balancer will accept serpentine (of course) or V-belt pulleys, provided they are of the 4 bolt pattern variety, which Ford switched to sometime in the early seventies. I am using an entire V-belt assembly off a '77 Granada on my '91 roller engine.
Of course, if you want to use 1960s three bolt pulleys, then you'll need the special ($) 50oz balancer.
Hope this helps!

·
Registered
10,587 Posts
If you have a 50oz/in balancer anyway, and are going to dynamically balance the engine (which I recommend), just have the balance shop afix the correct weight to the existing flexplate. I haven't had an engine balanced recently, but when I did the race car engine, they did some substantial work to the flexplate imbalance weight and the cost for the whole job (balancing the reciprocating and rotating assemblies) ran under 150.00...

Call your local balance shop and pose this question to them...

Good luck!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts