Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2,383 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Thinking about relocating.

I lived in Loveland 75-79.

It seems Colorado is not very tax friendly when it comes to cars, or classic cars.

In Georgia I pay $2.50 each for my cars with veterans tags and $22.50 for the cars with regular tags. So, $50.00 a year for four cars.

My 65 and 67 have year of manufacture tags that I display, I have to keep the actual tag in the trunk. No fee for that, other than normal registration fees.

Im outside the Atlanta metro Area, so no emissions.

What are Colorado's annual fees?

·
Registered
520 Posts
I lived in Denver for several years before coming back to KC in 2016. I don’t remember the Mustang being very expensive to tag, and it was obviously exempt from smog checks, which was nice.

Where are you thinking of relocating to? I talk to my Denver friends a lot, and it’s been interesting to see how their general attitude towards the city (and state) has changed in just the last few years. I will say I probably drove my Mustang less than 100 miles in 3 years - not because I didn’t want to, but because the city was such a pain to drive in that it wasn’t fun at all.

·
Registered
4,338 Posts
Make sure you buy a house with a garage. They can get some of the nastiest hail storms I've ever seen, and we've had a few bad ones here in SC. But from what I understand, hail is a regular thing there.

My office did 7 or 8 auto dealerships in the Denver area, Thorton, Colorado Springs, Centennial, Littleton, Highlands Ranch, Stapleton, etc... The company we worked for was fairly new to the area. They lost so much money on hail damaged cars over the first 3 years they spent hundreds of thousands of dollars to add "hail nets" to their inventory lots. One storm on my Colorado Springs job happened while the building was just starting to go up. The hail was golfball+ sized and damaged the building so badly they tore down what they started and started again. It can literally snow one day and be 80* the next.

Water is a problem. Water rights are unGodly expensive. On one of our projects the water and sewer TAP fees exceeded SIX HUNDRED THOUSAND DOLLARS. Not construction or materials cost, just the fee to tap into the Cities water and sewer systems. It's like a few hundred bucks to a few grand every where else we've done work.

One of my sisters lived out there for about 5 years and she came back.

It's a beautiful place to visit, and I highly recommend it, but I prefer the southeast.

This is the view from my Colorado Springs job (it's in the foreground):

Attachments

·
Registered
2,383 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I would live in Windsor or the Loveland-Fort Collins area. No way in Denver or the western slope.

The SW is another possible choice, although last time I was in Tucson, I caught a bad case of Valley Fever.

The weather in the SE just doesnt agree with me. The humidity and pollen wreck havoc on my respiratory system. Im working with the Docs on a solution, but I may end up moving.

·
Registered
725 Posts
I would live in Windsor or the Loveland-Fort Collins area. No way in Denver or the western slope.

The SW is another possible choice, although last time I was in Tucson, I caught a bad case of Valley Fever.

The weather in the SE just doesnt agree with me. The humidity and pollen wreck havoc on my respiratory system. Im working with the Docs on a solution, but I may end up moving.
Don't live anywhere on the Front Range. The Western Slope is where the normal people live.

·
Registered
2,383 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Ive heard Western Colorado has become Eastern California.

·
Registered
8,611 Posts
I lived in Broomfield from '69 until 1985.
I was just there in September (Denver area) for a class reunion. No way I would move back now.
(Denver, Boulder, etc.) Way too many people. The traffic is asinine. It definitely doesn't bear much
resemblance to the place I left. (and bear in mind these sentiments are from someone currently living in the LA area)

That's definitely accurate on the hail comments. I worked for American Family Insurance there as an appraiser.
Hail damage was the worst part of a generally not fun job.

·
Registered
133 Posts
Beautiful area, but definitely has out grown its infrastructure. Probably my least favorite place to drive into and out of. I thought Chicago was bad 25 years ago while in college, but Denver has it beat hands down.

·
Registered
9,524 Posts
I've lived in Colorado Springs since 2001. The city has grown a lot since then and, sure, we're experiencing some growing pains. But consider I have lived in many places in the country. I have travelled half way around the world and back. And I choose to live in Colorado Springs.

I pay about $50 a year to register my Mustang. I could probably save money getting the "Antique Car" tags, but I don't want to.

No, we are not California. Colorado Springs is home to the U.S. Air Force Academy, Peterson Air Force Base, Schriever Air Force Base and Fort Carson. We are also home to Compassion International and Focus on the Family. This all adds up to a pretty conservative town.

One of my coworkers moved here from Indiana just over a year ago. She absolutely loves Colorado Springs and says she should have left the crap hole where she lived previously long ago.

Loveland is a nice little town, but finding work there can be challenging.

·
Registered
2,383 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Im retired so work is not in my future.

Ive considered working p/t, but I like owning my day all day, every day.

Ive spent time in C.S., big flea market.

I like the front range, all the way up to Cheyenne, except they get a lot more winter.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts