Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hi,
I own a 66 Mustang coupe with the 200 cu. in. 6 cylinder. When I bought it last October it had very low mile Goodride Radial SP06 P205/70R14 95T M+S blackwall tires. While the tires are in great condition, I don't think the car looks good with blackwall tires. Early Mustangs look great with thin whitewall tires and the original spinner hubcaps (my opinion).

I have been looking for new white sidewall tires and I found Uniroyal Tiger Paw AWP II P205/75R14 white sidewall tires for $72.20 each with free shipping. That is $288.80 for the set of 4. Does anyone have any comments on these tires? Any better tires out there for a similar price?

I am planning to go from the current P205/70R14 tires to P205/75R14 tires since they would be a little taller. After looking at posts and the Internet I'm thinking that P195/75R14 would be the best size. Any comments on the tire size?

As always, thanks for your input.

·
Registered
40 Posts
I have raised white letter tiger paws I havent had any problems, and they look nice! thats about what I paid and that was put on and balanced. Shop around and if you cant find a better deal buy them!

·
Registered
792 Posts
I wouldn't go with Tiger Paws. Those tires look cheesy. They were common on Chevy's in the 90's. You can probably get BFG Radial TA cheaper than that at Discount Tire. I would stick with 205 70 or 75 14. The 195s are too skinny. They are available in P205/70R14.

Radial T/A | BFGoodrich Tires

He's going for a factory look it's not cheesy, it's similar to the way they came from factory. BFGs probably wouldn't look good with wire spinners, at least white letters out.

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Hi - Thanks everyone for the input. Raised white letter tires are not an option for me. Originally I was looking to replace the original steel wheels and 66 spinner hubcaps with a "Cragar type" mag wheel but there isn't much available in a 4 bolt 14" rim. I don't like the slotted type rims like the Outlaw II. So, I decided to keep the original steel rims and 66 spinner hubcaps and replace the current blackwall tires with a whitewall tire. I think that early Mustangs need a whitewall with the original hubcaps.

I have decided to purchase 4 whitewall Uniroyal Tiger Paw AWP II tires in the size P195/75/R14. Oh, I found them on the Internet for $62.00 each with free shipping.

Thanks again.

·
Premium Member
13,179 Posts
"................ I have decided to purchase 4 whitewall Uniroyal Tiger Paw AWP II tires in the size P195/75/R14. Oh, I found them on the Internet for $62.00 each with free shipping.

Thanks again.

just curious, where did you find them? I notice tirerack doesn't list the AWP II.

btw, I had Tiger Paws on several different cars "back in day". I liked them. They did have the best tire commerical of all time.

Z.

·
Registered
9,104 Posts
My Mom's 2004 Chevy Tracker had Tiger Paws on it and I did not like them (I'm not sure what tire is currently on there, I don't drive it much). They always had a tendency to look low and seemed to need air more often than most tires. They also had an annoying habit of making a lot of noise when turning at low speeds in the parking lot. It sounded like the car was peeling out.

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Well, I didn't purchase the 4 Uniroyal Tiger Paw AWP II tires since the online dealers who carry them want to charge you $90.00 for mounting and balancing from a tire dealer they will send the tires to. They will not send them to my home. The tire company was TireBuyer.com.

I checked around and found the following tire for $65.00 each shipped to my home for free with no tax or other charges. It is a Kumho Solus KR21 P195/75R14 92T WSW (white sidewall) with a 85,000 mile warranty. I bought them from Discount Tire Direct for $260.00. I should have them by Wednesday.

Thanks for all of the input.

·
Registered
2,655 Posts
He's going for a factory look it's not cheesy, it's similar to the way they came from factory. BFGs probably wouldn't look good with wire spinners, at least white letters out.
I did not mean that the look he was going for is cheesy. I think its a nice idea. I meant that Tiger Paw tires are cheesy and I don't like them at all. I have driven a few vehicles back in the 90s that had them and I don't think they are good tires at all.

·
Registered
2,655 Posts
Hi - Thanks everyone for the input. Raised white letter tires are not an option for me. Originally I was looking to replace the original steel wheels and 66 spinner hubcaps with a "Cragar type" mag wheel but there isn't much available in a 4 bolt 14" rim. I don't like the slotted type rims like the Outlaw II. So, I decided to keep the original steel rims and 66 spinner hubcaps and replace the current blackwall tires with a whitewall tire. I think that early Mustangs need a whitewall with the original hubcaps.

I have decided to purchase 4 whitewall Uniroyal Tiger Paw AWP II tires in the size P195/75/R14. Oh, I found them on the Internet for $62.00 each with free shipping.

Thanks again.
I'm sorry, when you said Tiger Paw tires, I thought you were talking about white letter tires. All the ones I remember seeing are white letter like this.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts