Vintage Mustang Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
1,256 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Since I can't get my carbureted 408 to start on cold days, I'm really considering going to EFI - especially since I live in the mountains and rejetting to travel 45 mins is a big PITA.

I have a few questions about EFI conversion.

Could I just grab the EFI setup off a 351w based truck at the junkyard? If so, is there a site that details doing this?

Is there an EFI setup where I don't need to reprogram anything based on my motor - it just reads the O2 coming in, and the O2 in the exhaust, then determines the amount of fuel to add?

Do I need to swap cams or any other internals to perform the swap?

I'm sure I'll have MANY more questions, but hopefully this will get me started and let me know if it's worthwhile to look into.

Here's details on the motor if it helps.

Thanks!

408ci Engine Details:
Cubic Inches: 408 (stroked 351W)
Compression: 10.7:1
Crankshaft: SCAT 9000 series
Bore: 4.030
Stroke: 4.00
Rods: SCAT Forged H Beam 6.2"
Pistons: Probe Forged 19.3cc dish
Timing Chain: Edelbrock Double Roller
Oil Pan: Milodon 8qt.
Crank Dampner: Summit SFI

Cylinder Head Details:
Brand & Model: Air Flow Research AFR205
Valves: 2.08 / 1.60
Port Work: CNC ported and polished
Components: Air Flow Research valvesprings
Rockers: Crane Gold 1.6 Roller 3/8 stud ( 974D )

Camshaft Details:
Brand & Model: Crower 15445
Duration adv int/exh (0.050 int/exh): 285/292 (254/260)
Gross lift int/exh: 0.597/0.578
Lobe Separation: 106
Cam advance/retard: -4 degrees
Lifters: Crower mechanical roller

Induction System Details:
Intake: Edelbrock Victor Jr 351W
Port Work: Matched
Carb: Holley 750 Doublepumper ( milled choke horn )
Carb spacer: BG Systems phenolic 1/2" 4 hole spacer
Fuel Pump: Summit high volume
Air Filter: K&N 14x3

Exhaust System Details:
Hedders: Hedman Shorty 351W Swap
Pipe Diameter: 3"
H-Pipe: Yes
Mufflers: Dynomax Super Turbos
Tailpipes: Dump in front of axle

Ignition Details:
Distributor: Mallory Unilite with HEI conversion cap
Ignition: Mallory HyFIRE IVc
Coil: MSD Blaster II
Wires: Ford Motorsport 9mm plug wires

·
Registered
3,900 Posts
The truck EFI systems aren't good for modified engines according to Windsor/Fox.

·
Registered
1,425 Posts
JohnZ-
Dude stuffed a 408 in a 66 and built a coupe-vertable. Im guessing he is willing to take on a "project". Just kidding :: :joker:

·
Registered
8,670 Posts
Check into the Pro Mustang spyder EFI kits. They have a stock looking carb intake that has the injector bungs already welded in. They also sell an elbow that mounts on the carb flange and can use a stock throttle body from a 5.0 I think they sell them on ebay with keywords spyder 351w. Then use the megasquirt controller and add O2 sensors. There are always the Accel, Holley, and Edelbrock Fuel injections that are similar to this setup but use a throttle body similar to TBIs. Also www.massfloefi.com is another alternative, but pricey IMO. The only other alternative is to get a trick flow lower 5.8l manifold and use the 5.0 trickflow/cobra upper. The 5.8L upper will cause hood clearance issues.

·
Premium Member
2,447 Posts
I'd say with your motor you will definitely need an EEC-tuner. The stock computers do not have parameters set for maximum hp, but they are set for maximum fuel economy. And with a 408, you're gonna need some pretty good sized injectors. There are some factory computers that are better than others though and might work well with your combo. But, in order to get that thing running to it's full potential, you will want some sort of tweaker.

I would say if you can get a complete EFI harness from whatever vehicle, you are on the right track. It wont matter if it's from a car or truck...they all have the same computer plug in. Only thing you will need to worry about is whether it's an older EEC or the newer OBD computer that the harness will accept. Then do research as to which factory computer will suit your needs best, and which tweaker (there's a handful of them out now).

·
Registered
6,911 Posts
Is there an EFI setup where I don't need to reprogram anything based on my motor

Nope. Even if that 408 could live with the fuel curve, the ignition curve during hard acceleration wouldn't be anywhere near optimum.

·
Registered
1,256 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Wow! Great info ya'll! Gonna start some research now based on the info supplied! Anyone here done this conversion before? ( not necessarily on a 408 ).

And yes, I can handle a project like Megasquirt given the history of the car! :lol:

Thanks again!

·
Registered
5,114 Posts
Trucks came with a speed density set up and not a mass air. The SD set up is not very good for any time of mods. A simple cam change could cause the SD set up not to run well.

One thing to remember is the upper intake can be swapped on the truck for the mustang intake with MA.

There are plenty of good deals on used inatkes for your set up.

·
Registered
967 Posts
If your victor jr intake has bosses for injector bungs you could have that intake machined for injectors. Otherwise you can buy a super victor with rails and bosses already machined. Then use an accufab 4150 style throttle body. Fire it with megasquirt and a wideband you'll be set. Check out www.megasquirt.info for some information about it and fuel injection information in general. If you have any specific questions there is a megasquirt forum at www.msefi.com and good luck.

RV

·
Registered
1,256 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Just so I have my ducks in a row before hitting the Megasquirt forums... it looks like I'll need:

4150 style Throttle Body ( Edelbrock 3878 )
8 36-40 lb injectors with rails ( based on 500 FWHP )
Wideband O2 sensor ( do I need anything more than a generic 5v sensor? do I need a gauge? )
What gph / pressure fuel pump do ya think I need?

This is in order to use the MegaSquirt-II Engine Management System w/PCB3

Thanks again!

·
Registered
311 Posts
Whoa! nice work! i wanted to turn my old 66 into something like your coupe-vertible setup, but it was more daydream than reality. way to push the envelope.

·
Registered
8,670 Posts
Or the Megastquirt and this

I've been eyeing this the past few days but i have a wedding to pay for soon so it is out of the question. I personally think you will get more horsepower with the long runner style intake, otherwise they would still use the TBI style thottle bodies. No?

·
Registered
316 Posts
It would be alot easier to get your carb setup sorted out then going EFI. I am running a "race" EFI 308 setup and am using a product called the "TwEECer". It comes with an adaptor that plugs in the A9L computer and allows you to plug in a laptop, and using their software change any parameter. Sounds like fun right. The learning curve is huge and unless you are willing to become a student of the EFI and are willing to spend hours on user forums, stick with the carburetor. I really enjoy my carbed '66. No surging, bucking or hot starting problems there.

·
Registered
1,662 Posts
Just so I have my ducks in a row before hitting the Megasquirt forums... it looks like I'll need:

4150 style Throttle Body ( Edelbrock 3878 )
8 36-40 lb injectors with rails ( based on 500 FWHP )
Wideband O2 sensor ( do I need anything more than a generic 5v sensor? do I need a gauge? )
What gph / pressure fuel pump do ya think I need?

This is in order to use the MegaSquirt-II Engine Management System w/PCB3

Thanks again!
Just visited your web page. I take back what I said about being ready for a project. Given what you've done, you could probably slap EFI into that puppy in about a day!

There are several success stories with fords 302 to 473 ci engines on the megasquirt page. In addition, there is an active megasquirt yahoo discussion group. I would look to these for details about your situation.

·
Registered
1,256 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Or the Megastquirt and this

I've been eyeing this the past few days but i have a wedding to pay for soon so it is out of the question. I personally think you will get more horsepower with the long runner style intake, otherwise they would still use the TBI style thottle bodies. No?
WOW that looks tempting... but I'm wondering if it'd fit under the hood! :: I'll have to track fown some specifications on the installed height. That looks VERY promising! Thanks for the heads up! :D

·
Registered
1,256 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
It would be alot easier to get your carb setup sorted out then going EFI. I am running a "race" EFI 308 setup and am using a product called the "TwEECer". It comes with an adaptor that plugs in the A9L computer and allows you to plug in a laptop, and using their software change any parameter. Sounds like fun right. The learning curve is huge and unless you are willing to become a student of the EFI and are willing to spend hours on user forums, stick with the carburetor. I really enjoy my carbed '66. No surging, bucking or hot starting problems there.
For altitude, there is no getting the carb setup perfectly. I'll always have to rejet, which is my biggest complaint. The adjusted altitude swings 2000' in a few hours, so it's a real pain. I even purchased a pair of Holley Adjust-A-Jets to help... but those things are worthless. :wall:

Then there's the cold start issue too. :(

So far as learning curve and spending time in the forums... that's what I do in my spare time already. :lol: The internet is a GREAT tool! :D

·
Registered
1,256 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Just visited your web page. I take back what I said about being ready for a project. Given what you've done, you could probably slap EFI into that puppy in about a day!

There are several success stories with fords 302 to 473 ci engines on the megasquirt page. In addition, there is an active megasquirt yahoo discussion group. I would look to these for details about your situation.
:lol: Well, I'd certainly TRY to!

I have been reading up over there and even checking out the Chevy, Dodge, etc. comments since the concept is the same. There's a few peeps with some very detailed buildup info, which will help immensely considering I take the plunge.

So far, I've spent about 8 hours researching since the first post about MegaSquirt in this thread. :lol: I've even sold the wife on the idea... which was the most difficult part! :lol:

Thanks again for all the help everyone!

1 - 20 of 30 Posts