Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I took my 65 (V8 w/C4 automatic) driveshaft in to a driveshaft shop for a balance check and new u-joints. They are telling me that the yoke is worn and that I should replace it. I think they are being honest but don't know if they are just trying to sell me a new yoke or not. My yoke looks good and doesn't have any grooves or ridges on the outside but when you run your fingers up and down it you can feel a very slight dip where it has been riding inside of the tailshaft bushing. It is VERY slight and you cannot even visually see the dip and can barely feel it. According to them, this will tear the rear of my transmission up if I continue to run the old yoke. Any opinions out there? The reason I took the driveshaft to them in the first place is because I am getting a bad driveline vibration at 60 mph and thought the driveshaft might be out of balance. I just don't want to fork out another $60 for a new yoke if it isn't necessary.

·
Registered
911 Posts
I get some vibration at 60+ mph too..I had my drive shaft balanced and the U-joints replaced. I didn't change the yoke, even though it shows so wear on it from the trans...That might be cuasing me the vibrations I still have...not sure. My suggestion would be to change it if you can afford it and also have the tail shaft bearing changed. I want to have my t-5 tail shaft bearing changed and ive been thinking about an aluminum drive shaft for reduced weight and less vibration. That and there was an article recently about making sure you get the older wheels balanced using lug centric instead of hub centric...I wonder how this would help vibration...and of course the new clutches have floating weights which is supposed to help with vibration. Good luck! Kory

1 - 2 of 2 Posts