Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 20 of 214 Posts

·
Registered
5,627 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
While waiting for my '66 fastback to come back from paint (delayed a month) I started on another project. 1966 F100 and I installed a 2006 Crown vic from sub frame, braced and boxed the rails, modified the engine mounts, and added a new cross member on the front. It's going to be a cruiser, not necessarily a show truck so I didn't make it super pretty- just presentable. This one's ready to blow back apart and get powder coated, so I eneded up picking up ANOTHER project this weekend- 1948 Ford F1 shortbed. I'm thinking about just bolting it back together as is sans paint, put a 302 C4 drivetrain in it and make it my next shop truck! By chance has anyone here done the Aerostar or Jag from swap on the 48-52 F1's??

Attachments

·
Registered
6,697 Posts
I like the 60's and 70's f100's and f150's. Mine is a 79. End of the era truck. So you wacked out the twin I beam front end? I have been tempted to do that myself but after replacing my I beam pivot bushings and my radius arm bushings I am getting a bit of new respect for this old design. I could use a better steering system though.

·
Registered
5,627 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I used my plasma cutter and it was out in under an hour. It's unreal how well the vic fit, and what little mod it took to make it work. The frame width is nearly identical, and all I had to fab were rear radius arm mounts. It dropped the truck 5 1/2", I gained power r&p steering, power disc brakes, a front sway bar- all for about $150!! I've got a '67 f100 on deck to do the same to it as well- hopefully adding a narrowed Explorer rear axle too. I was hoping to do the same to this F1, but the frame Is much narrower...

·
Registered
8,359 Posts
My '48 is pretty close to stock. It's got a points eliminator conversion I did
using a Hays reluctor and Mallory pickup coil in the distributor with an old
Jacobs box for a module. I've also got Viking double adjustable shocks on it,
but that's about as radical as the truck is.

Attachments

·
Registered
3,114 Posts
lol......I really don't need to be seeing this stuff! I am trying to get my Mustang built and I have been eyeballing an old F100 that a very elderly widow friend of the family is driving around and thinking......

·
(actually Slim Jr now)
24,597 Posts
My '48 is pretty close to stock. It's got a points eliminator conversion I did
using a Hays reluctor and Mallory pickup coil in the distributor with an old
Jacobs box for a module. I've also got Viking double adjustable shocks on it,
but that's about as radical as the truck is.

Fantastic 48! I'm an old long time flathead fanatic. Was 48 the year Ford changed to the front of heads water outlets and the modern distributor? Or does your truck have 49-53 flathead?

I had 37 and 46 Ford coupes. Always loved the look of the 48 pick up.

·
Registered
5,627 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
It's a disease I swear!! I seem to be acquiring more projects than I can finish, but when they fall into my lap and the price is right, how can I say no?!? So far while trying to finish my '66 fb I've scored a '38 Ford pu, a '39 ford Sedan, and now this '48 Ford F1.... at this rate I'll never get the fastback done, but I should have one helluva collection of cars to show!! lol

P

·
0 Posts
I have several F100s myself, as well as a Bronco. I have a '71 which turned 50K on the ride home from buying it. I have a '69 with a 428/4 sped that is being totally redone right now. I have my '89 Ranger with a '61 F100 grille and other things on it, plus my Bronco I'm in the middle of building. It's getting a '64 F100 grille. I have a '79 with a '73 front end ( need to sell it ) and of course, my '65 Econoline Pickup :) So yes, I have many and enjoy them a lot.

Attachments

·
Registered
5,627 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I have several F100s myself, as well as a Bronco. I have a '71 which turned 50K on the ride home from buying it. I have a '69 with a 428/4 sped that is being totally redone right now. I have my '89 Ranger with a '61 F100 grille and other things on it, plus my Bronco I'm in the middle of building. It's getting a '64 F100 grille. I have a '79 with a '73 front end ( need to sell it ) and of course, my '65 Econoline Pickup :) So yes, I have many and enjoy them a lot.
That '71 is cleeeen!! wish my '67 was that nice! My Grandpa bought it new and it's only got 55K miles on it too... unfortunately over time he wrecked all 4 corners and drank the insurance money! It's straight now, but starting to rot out again..

P

·
0 Posts
The '71 was a Craigslist find. It was a farm truck. So it has many bumps and bruises, but nothing major. It has never been wrecked and sports the original paint. Even the cab supports are the same green paint, incredible to me. What I saw in MD was always rusted away hulks. This was a Carolina truck it's entire life, it is a bit of a time capsule. That's why I retired the '79. The '69 used to be my full size hauler. But when it's done, it will be strictly a hot rod truck . I'm going with a flareside bed, short wheelbase, down from a long wheelbase styleside.

Attachments

·
Registered
2,404 Posts
God I love these. If I ever have room to do another build it will be an F-100 for certain. Inspiring pics gentleman.

P

·
0 Posts
And trucks are such an easy restore. Nothing like dealing with a unibody Mustang. Not as easy as a bicycle build, but not far behind :) I build bicycles because they are so easy. You can do one in your sleep. Trucks you only need to be half awake. :)

·
Registered
8,359 Posts

Fantastic 48! I'm an old long time flathead fanatic. Was 48 the year Ford changed to the front of heads water outlets and the modern distributor? Or does your truck have 49-53 flathead?

I had 37 and 46 Ford coupes. Always loved the look of the 48 pick up.
Thanks Slim.
I think the front of the head water neck is an 8BA deal, first done on the '48 truck. I think the car platforms then followed suit.
Pretty sure the top-side distributor is a '48 truck first too..... before that it was the crab style unit mounted down low on the engine.
The top mount one is the 1st generation of that horrible load-o-matic distributor design that VMFers know from the early Mustang 6.

I'd been looking for a '48 for awhile. I wanted Ford's first year dedicated-design truck. This one came from a guy in Florida
who worked most of his life for S. Truett Cathy (founder of Chick-fil-A). Strange tale, the guy never stepped foot in a
restaurant and couldn't tell you what their sandwich tasted like......

·
(actually Slim Jr now)
24,597 Posts
Thanks Slim.
I think the front of the head water neck is an 8BA deal, first done on the '48 truck. I think the car platforms then followed suit.
Pretty sure the top-side distributor is a '48 truck first too..... before that it was the crab style unit mounted down low on the engine.
The top mount one is the 1st generation of that horrible load-o-matic distributor design that VMFers know from the early Mustang 6.

I'd been looking for a '48 for awhile. I wanted Ford's first year dedicated-design truck. This one came from a guy in Florida
who worked most of his life for S. Truett Cathy (founder of Chick-fil-A). Strange tale, the guy never stepped foot in a
restaurant and couldn't tell you what their sandwich tasted like......
That front distributor was dual point and to do it right/easily there was a off engine machine. Also had the vacuum brake for timing retard with load. As I recall those front mounts were made by Mallory.

I do love that truck!

·
Registered
1,704 Posts
nice trucks guys.

I have a 71 f100 that i'm building as my daily. still collecting parts for it. it's getting an efi 302 / aod combo.

1 - 20 of 214 Posts