Vintage Mustang Forums banner

21 - 40 of 59 Posts

·
Registered
922 Posts
Different Approaches

Did you preheat the metal prior to powder coating? I always preheat used parts, usually at 400º for 30 minutes. It will burn off any oils or impurities in the metal. After it cools, I then clean it with acetone and a lint free cloth. Then powder coat with your primer and top coats. The preheat out gasses so it doesn't show up in the final product.
I've tried a number of different approaches with and without pre heating at different temperatures. In my experience, the 50 year old plus pot metal degassing is very random. I've had pieces looking great up through the primer coat. Then, I run the least amount of heat possible for the color top coat with bubbles coming out on the final pass. After wet sanding, I'll run a second pass of the top coat again with the least amount of heat and sometimes the results are good while other times I will get even more bubbles. I'm really at the mercy of the chemistry of the particular OEM batch of vintage pot metal that was used to mold the part. For pot metal parts, I've had better success using reproduction parts. Powder coating and baking the stainless or any steel is obviously a piece of cake.

Also, even if I have a really pitted piece of pot metal, I will go really thick with the powder coat primer. I will wet sand this primer coat, which will provide a nice smooth base for a 2k paint. So I've had success using powder coat as a filler. I'm sure I could explore methods, but it has really been a trail and error process for me learning as I go.

·
Registered
922 Posts
Black and chrome is one of the best combinations for me, and I appreciate a good matte black. Haven't considered it for my own car because I can't imagine how hot it would get in the midwest sun...
I agree. I think sometimes mixing chrome accents can really enhance the lines of the car and draw ones eyes towards particular areas of detail.

·
Dimples
4,355 Posts
I like all different paint finishes on the body and both chrome and brushed finish on trim, but I have yet to see a car that was made better by blacking out the chrome. Just doesn’t work for me.

I also don’t care for black wheels, though a chrome or polished lip can help.

·
Registered
1,290 Posts
LOL, I back dated my wiper arms to polished as I just think it matches windshield surrounds better on my 69/70's . Everyone has an opinion ;)

·
Registered
114 Posts
I love the aesthetic for a restomod build. I have a convertible build in progress where I powder coated all of the molding and stainless. The majority of my original pot metal pieces degassed too much in the oven, so I had to resort to paint for some items. However, reproduction pot metal parts appear to do much better surviving the oven.

I know this is old and sorry for bringing the thread back but what powdercoat/paint did you use trying to find color to do mine in thank you, would be much appreciated🙏🙏🙏

·
Registered
815 Posts
If you want to try a satin finish, you can do a vinyl wrap. It's more expensive than plastidip but comes out way better and is not permanent. Plus, a good vinyl job will last longer, comes in many colors, and can be removed/replaced if you want something different.

·
Registered
4,624 Posts
It's a mix of Cardinal Black 60 and 40 percent Gloss. For the paint parts, I used the SEM trim black. I think Eastwood even offers a 2k rattle can trim black paint.
What brand powder do you use? Eastwood has a smi gloss black that is pretty close to your black. They also have a black chrome that does pretty well. I tried the Powder Coating Powder, Colors & Supplies | Prismatic Powders Black Chrome but I couldn't get the effect I wanted without applying it extra thick.

·
Registered
630 Posts
Here’s mine with the fender tops and headlight buckets done with plasti-dip too. Far from perfect, but if and when I actually have the car painted, I will definitely go with this look.

·
Registered
2,102 Posts
I'm definitely doing this to my windshield wiper arms. Those suckers blind me sometimes on a sunny day.
I used a flat silver paint, a bit less noticable than black.

·
Registered
2,102 Posts
I only did my tail light panel, used Plasti dip spray can, been on the car for about four years now, gotta be careful with the gas though, it eats the stuff but easy to touch up.
I might redo it in real paint - - someday, maybe.

21 - 40 of 59 Posts