from a used car dealer(don't start)
What are my options? Does the dealer have to
take the car back and refund my money
or is this apt to be messy? (sue)

Opinions or suggestions?

·
Registered
1,135 Posts
I would go back to the Dealer and find the correct numbers. I had a similer problem with a car imported from PR and the VIN was recorded wrong at the dock. Engine code was recorded as a 5 instead of an S. It was a clear Typo but the DMV would NOT just correct it. I had to call PR to find out where the Typo was recorded, This was a PITA since I don't speak Spanish at all. I finally found out it was exported to PR in 72 with the correct number but all of PR's records were destroyed in hurricane Hugo so it was a big fat Dead end......I sold the car as is with the wrong number for a loss. The DMV wouldn't do anything to help even though they inspected the car THREE times!!

Since you bought from a Dealer, I assume they are local, you may have better luck then me...

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Any dealings with used auto's is usually the "buyer beware"
scenario.

·
Registered
2,340 Posts
I don't know Florida law, but . . . You bought it from a dealer. Did the dealer clearly tell you that he couldn't convey clear title? Call the police. Its called fraud. If they won't help, you'd better talk to whoever is doing the financing, as they can't take a security interest in the car, and likely will pull the financing on you when they find it can't be correctly titled. If the numbers don't match, the title isn't worth the paper its printed on. The lender may also help persuade the dealership to clear things up. State attorney general's office is also a potential source of help. Find their web page, and see what info they have on filing a consumer complaint. If you bought the car knowing that the title was junk, you may have problems.

Carl

·
Registered
1,254 Posts
If you really want to keep the car, maybe it's no big deal. The fact that the door does not match the fender is not important. It happens all the time, doors get replaced and the tags don't get transfered.

The fact that the title does not match fender is more important, but in Georgia you don't need a title to sell a car this old. You only need a bill of sell. So if you have a bill of sell for the car, you could just forget about the title.

Maybe what is important is to figure out why they don't match. Was there an intent to mislead you(?) or mislead the dealer (by the PO)? If I had this car the big question in my mind would be, is the car stolen?

If you can figure out if the car is stolen or not, then the mismatched numbers may become a non issue. Meaning, if Florida is like Georgia, and the title is not required, then just trashcan the title and use the bill of sell to get your tag and registration.

Good Luck,

·
Registered
651 Posts
Bryan
I had that same thing happen to me last year. Don't worry. I contacted my local state Motor Vehicle Enforcement division, and filed a compalint. They went out and payed a visit to the dealer and found my violations. They shut the guy down and he had a choice to refund,reduce and get me the title. I wanted the car so I chose reduce the price and I got the title it took time but the state is there to protect the consumer. I am glad they were there. He got his license back after thousands in fines. These dealers have to learn to be straight shooters or pay the price.

No lawyer needed. The state should be able to do the work for you.

Good Luck
Tom

·
Registered
8,476 Posts
Not sure about Florida but here in California the dealers are licensed by the DMV and among other things, dealers are not allowed to sell cars that don't have clear titles. I suggest contacting the DMV branch that licenses car dealers and make a formal complaint. Assuming that the car is not stolen, it may be possible to bond around the title (like an insurance policy) at the dealer's expense and get clear title.
On the financing issue, the lender expects to have a security interest in your car as lienholder. If the car doesn't match the title, the lender doesn't have the security they require. This becomes important to the lender in the event they have to repossess the security for non-payment of the loan. If the contract you signed is a conditional sales contract (conditional upon approval of credit) the inability to deliver a clear title to the lender would likely result in the loan being denied, thus the "conditional" part of the sales contract would fail and the dealer has to take the car back.

Keep us posted and good luck.

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I check Fl fdle and the numbers don't
appear stolen.One vin is close,but it says
16 T instead of 19U.Also it is scratched out.
The door data tag is completely different.
It was a buy here pay here place.(don't ask)
I'm going to run it by the DMV tomorrow.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts