Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1,732 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have an LG mini-split AC setup in my shop.
After 3 years, the unit stopped cooling. Had it diagnosed as a leak in the evap coil in the interior unit. Figured I still had 2 years left on the warranty, so no big deal.
LG shipped me the part, but quotes to repair the unit were over $1,000 for labor. I called 4 local places and only one was even willing to give a quote...I guess they're a PITA to fix.

So I wound up just buying a new interior unit for $649 and had it installed for a few hundred bucks. Still cheaper than repairing the original unit and I have a new warranty.

Question is this...would the old unit and new part have any value to throw up on facebook marketplace or craigslist?
Wondering if the quotes I got for the repair were out of whack. Or should I just toss it all.

I can't return the evap coil for a refund (it didn't cost me anything) and don't know if it's really worth driving it to a metal recycler.

·
Registered
1,853 Posts
If it's aluminium, it has recycle value. Otherwise, now the other unit is out it may have some parts value on eBay or Craigslist.

·
Registered
4,451 Posts
Sounds crazy. Is it huge or in a wacky place? Still....
Im no tech but see it like this; They will suck it down(maybe even not that if its been leaking), cut out the old, re-solder in the new, a few wires unplugged and re-plugged then recharge. WTF am I missing?

Maybe a craigslist ad to get an AC tech to do it on the side after hours:)
But ya, gotta be worth something more than scrap.

·
Registered
3,070 Posts
I had a $1800 Mitsubishi mini split for my master bedroom for 5 years and it worked great until the field mice made a home in the outdoor unit one winter and destroyed it. I bought a $550 generic unit to replace it and it works just as well. Like everything else modern it's throw away.

PSA. If you don't use your mini split for heating in the winter months cut the power to the unit because the compressor is wrapped in an electric blanket to keep it warm so that the refrigerant will flow when the unit is started. It also acts as a luxury heated hotel for every varmint in the neighborhood!

·
Registered
1,732 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I'll throw up an ad and see what I get.

If nothing, then I found a local metal recycler that takes AC units, so I'll probably run up there and see what they'll give me for everything. I'll probably pick up some metal pieces to have in the shop for projects while I'm up there.

Nailbender...I have some 220v wall mounted heaters that I use for heat in the shop. In the winter, I like to keep the temp around 50 unless I'm out there working and the LG unit thermostat only goes down to 65. Don't want to pay to keep it that warm since I'm not out there enough to justify it.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts