Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1,892 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Had my bi-annual HVAC checkup done. The whole system is only 5 years old...but gets a lot of use since we live in Chapel Hill, NC.

Tech said that one of the capacitors read at 27 and should read at 30. Said if it's more than 6% off, they suggest replacement as it's a sign of it wearing out.

Is that a legit thing to be worried about or them trying to bill some extra work?

Quote to replace it is here:

I'm sure I could replace it myself...but the units still have around 5 years of warranty left and don't want to risk being denied a claim if they found out an unqualified person did a repair.

·
Registered
1,116 Posts
That is a very cheap part, I would buy it and have it on hand and when / if yours fails you can easily swap it out.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,116 Posts
Of course if you ordered the same exact part they would never know that you swapped it out.

·
Registered
4,440 Posts
If it's under warranty... shouldn't that cover the "defective" part, or do you have to wait until it actually fails?

I've ordered capacitors for my A/C system online, they're like $10-50 depending on what you need.

Just make sure you lock out the system, kill the power and pull the lock out switch/plug. 220 bad.

·
Registered
3,136 Posts
If the $148 includes labor, I would let them do it.

If it failed, would it not be under warranty? I have not had to replace mine in 19 years.

·
Registered
5,088 Posts
We've had to replace capacitors as well, they can do wonky things on their way out then work fine the next time you run it. You might not know unless you can hear your unit from inside the house. Gonna do it as a preventative soon because near the end of last summer they had hiccups but like I say you turn it off a while and then they work fine again for who knows how long.
Costs us about $115 with at about $80 of that being an hour labor.

·
Premium Member
1968 coupe, 1968 vert, 1966 coupe
690 Posts
Truthfully for $150 doesn’t seem like a reason to lie...atleast I wouldn’t bother for that price. I could understand an expensive job but those guys are usually pretty busy this time of year and don’t wanna be bothered with small jobs like that when an install can easily Bill 10 hours at $100 an hour easy!

·
Registered
1,116 Posts
Dan - A capacitor will run about $20-$40 and takes about 10 minutes to swap out. You'd be mad at yourself if you watched the Hvac tech replace it then hand you a bill for $149. Plenty of videos to show how to do it, basically you cut the power to the unit, remove the access panel, discharge the capacitor with an insulated screwdriver (although it should discharge through the motor / compressor when you cut the power) then you swap the wires from the old to the new. You could check your warranty to make sure it's not covered, I suspect the tech would have changed it if it's covered, maybe the part is covered but the labor isn't?

·
Registered
5,030 Posts
I change mine every 5 or so yrs just as as a precaution.
as mentioned $12 or so

the terminals rust out on mine and the lugs get loose

plus i keep 2 on hand along with 2 contactors

anything after that and i have to call a tech

make sure power is off by the breaker and you ground out each of the cap lugs to each other one at a time with insulated screwdriver and gloves on

wires are usually long enough where you can take one off and put on. just make sure you have the right orientation

both caps will be have marked terminals with letters. One is Fan, one is Comp, and one is Comm

Reactions: Dan Babb

·
Registered
66 Posts
The equipment should have 5 years compressor&parts warranty from the mfg.10 years if it was registered.probaly have to pay a min. Labor charge.Don't know but you can probably buy one at your ac supply house( some will not sell to non hvac certified people.)if you oppose to change it,power off be sure to note what color wire is on which terminal. Usually brown on fan blue or yellow on herm & red or black on com. Take a picture of the top of the cap with wires attached with terminal designation visible can't mess up then wireing diagram is on the door with it that new. Don't panic I've seen them run when down way past mfg. Spec. But once they start falling they never come back ,usually fail during hot weather due to ac cycling on so often. Before I retired from my real job I would tell the customers pay this much now or usually 3 to 4 times as much when we come back to replace your burnt up fan motor not a scare tactic but a fact. Thank god I don't have to charge my customer what the companies around the Bham area charge and I can sleep good at night.

·
Registered
1,328 Posts
I used to be an AC tech and if it’s not bulging, or leaking, and the contacts are clean and rust free, knowing when a capacitor will fail is like picking the right lotto numbers! Like others have stated, buy a backup capacitor and relax. If you’re not confident with electrical stuff then just have them replace it.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts