Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Found this while doing some wiring for a tach. 67 coupe, mounted above wiper motor, has 3 leads and one lead went to center post on the back of the ignition switch thru an inline fuse holder with a 7.5 amp fuse. Looks original, but who knows, maybe somebody.....
C10D1BB8-1268-4DAC-9FC8-00176ADFA08D.jpeg

·
Registered
1,828 Posts
Do you have the safety convenience lights? That could be part of that. Can you tell what color the wires are?

·
Premium Member
881 Posts
Do you have a Marti Report? The “Convenience Control Panel” was a group of 4 warning lights...Park, Fuel, Door and Belts. It was a pretty rare option and that looks like it might be a relay for it, but I am no expert. Hopefully someone will chime in.

·
Registered
1,828 Posts

·
Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I don’t have a Marti report and this is the only thing I have found, but will do more exploring, probably been ripped out years ago. I have noticed my door tag has only a few things listed, most things like interior trim and other things have no code letter under them, don’t know why. Anyway was just curious and I will try to trace those wires out and see where they end up especially since this thing ( whatever the round cylinder) is was energized from the ignition switch. What does the center post off the back of the ignition switch do anyway? Is it the feed to the ignition switch? Or acc. position?

·
Registered
5,213 Posts
That’s not part of the safety convenience lights. They have 2 relays that mount on the fuse box. Neither look like that. Ford had lots of options back in those stays. Most connected to power the way you describe. Where do the other wires go. Looks almost like the flasher which is position in that area, but it’s too small and the clip is different.

·
Registered
35,494 Posts
With the 7.5A fused circuit my guess would be OEM speed control relay.

·
Registered
552 Posts
What is pictured is a Seat Belt Warning Light Relay. Besides being part of the Safety Convenience System, a separate Seat Belt Warning Light, which was mounted on a bracket which was mounted to the bottom of the dash (first picture attached), came with the Deluxe Seat Belts in 1967. While most of the Seat Belt Warning Light Relays look like the second picture attached (somewhat oblong), the cylindrical ones as pictured by the OP, have been observed in both the warning light that came with the Deluxe Seat Belts, and for the Seat Belt Warning Light that came with the Safety Convenience System (third picture attached). This was either a later Service Part, or possibly an aftermarket replacement.

Hope this helps.

Bob
DSC_0532.JPG
C7AZ-10B924-A (3).jpg
IMG_2661.JPG

·
Registered
5,213 Posts
Interesting to know. Every relay I have seen has been the oblong type. It’s also interesting to see where it was mounted, which is not the standard mounting location. Of course a previous owner could have moved it.

·
Registered
552 Posts
Flade : Attached illustration is from the 1967 Electrical Assembly Manual. Notice "View B", following the "OR". Must have been a difference in suppliers.
I did a little more digging into my OSI books, and found that by 1972, the C7AZ-10B924-A was replaced by D1AZ-10B924-A. However, turns out that this was also oblong shaped (I found several listed on Ebay). While this is not shown as being replaced in any later OSI books (through 1981), there is a D5AZ-10B924-A relay that was again oblong, but I also found a D5AZ that was round (picture attached) .I suppose that the D5 could have been made to work the same way as the C7AZ.

Bob
Seat Belt Warn Lt - RPO incl w Deluxe SB - Copy.jpg
C7AZ-10B924-A (2).jpg
D1AZ-10B924-A.jpg
D5AZ-10B-924-A (3).jpg
D5AZ-10B-924-A (1).jpg

1 - 11 of 11 Posts