Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
1,186 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been searching without luck for information on adding an auxiliary input to a vintage, in my case 1975 Ford AM/FM car radio. All I seem to be able to uncover is info about FM transmitters, FM modulators, cassettes with plugs hanging out and using the remote CD changer input. Non of these are really what I'm looking for since the radio doesn't have a cassette or CD player, and FM transmitters and modulators typically have very poor sound quality. I'd like to learn how to hard wire directly into the circuit. Any help would be appreciated.

·
Registered
213 Posts
I found a writeup on that over on the HAMB site - detailed step by step, but they said a repair manual to identify everything is a big help - I was tempted but decided to send mine out and had a pro do it.

·
Registered
105 Posts
I've always added a "real" radio/cd somewhere else--glovebox under seat or trunk --they have remotes----and left the original in the dash. Seems an easier route--plus you can just remove it if you so choose.

·
Registered
1,186 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I found a writeup on that over on the HAMB site - detailed step by step, but they said a repair manual to identify everything is a big help - I was tempted but decided to send mine out and had a pro do it.
Thanks for the tip imnutz. Haven't heard of that site but found it with google. I spent some time searching there with no luck. I'll keep looking though.

·
Registered
1,186 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I've always added a "real" radio/cd somewhere else--glovebox under seat or trunk --they have remotes----and left the original in the dash. Seems an easier route--plus you can just remove it if you so choose.
Thanks Tomahawk. That's always an option I guess but I'd prefer to keep it simple, if possible. I may tuck a small amplifier somewhere and plug into that. No sense duplicating the AM/FM and I don't need or want cassette or CD capability.

·
Registered
2,032 Posts
There was a writeup in one of the car mags I get about a guy that does it and a high level (non technical) overview of the process. The guy had car radios everywhere. Will see if I can find that.

·
Registered
1,172 Posts
Looks like a good plan. I've been thinking of going with a some sort of late 60-70's AM/FM that would look period at least for the convertible. It would be nice to have an input for it.

·
Registered
2,032 Posts
I may do this as well. I really wanted to put the single din glidetouch Alpine but if I cant get the aesthetics right on the install, I may just opt for the factory radio with aux inputs as an option

·
Registered
1,186 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
It would be great but I'm having a hell of a time finding the necessary information. It would seem the people that know how to do it are a bit closed lip about it. It seems easier to find information on how to build an atom bomb than put an auxiliary input on a vintage radio! The search continues....

·
Registered
2,032 Posts
I dont have the electronics savvy to pull this off as a project. You would have to determine where the amp stage of the unit is and then setup a selector to switch beween radio and AUX inputs. Maybe simple to some folks but not to me. With the added value this guy does to improve on the radio's output I probably would send off to the NY guy. He did the AM radio in the article for $100. Doesn't seem too bad....

·
Registered
755 Posts
Last year there was an article about adding an auxilary plugs that runs thru the antena wire ,it showed an Ipod hooked up to a am radio in a 65-66,I think it was oct-nov issue,you don't even touch the radio

1 - 14 of 14 Posts