Vintage Mustang Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
5,325 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm currently cleaning up the engine compartment in the 65 and the PCV setup looks like dog doo especially since the port is out the front on the Edelbrock. So I am considering bending up some aluminum tubing so it will sit nicely under the heater hoses. If this works out and looks good I might make more. Probably end up in the $25 range per copy. Just wondered if there was any interest.

·
Registered
454 Posts
I'm interested.

·
Registered
1,635 Posts
Why use the nipple on the front of the carburetor at all? Most intakes have a threaded fitting in the rear of the plenum for PCV, or you could use the ford spacer with the fitting.

·
Registered
978 Posts
The Edelbrock carbs I have have a threaded port at the back that can be used for PCV.

Or you can flip the valve covers around so that the PCV valve is on the front drivers side and closer to the front port on the carb.

·
Just some guy
67 coupe, 69 Sportsroof, 86 hatchback
21,412 Posts
I did the 5.0 in wife's '86 that way a long time ago . Edelbrock and the front port to the left valve cover. I just took a factory setup from the right rear and used a 1970's OEM oil filler cap with the provision for a PCV valve in the center. Easy. You could swap valve covers if you wanted I guess, but I didn't like adding oil at the right rear.

·
Registered
5,325 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Some clever options presented. I knocked these out last night. First one was done thinking getting two 90 degree elbows would be cheap and easy. Neither were the case so I added the extra bends for short straight connection. Going to pick up some line and some spring clamps on the way home today and get it installed tonight. I also need to fab up a fuel line. This engine bay is a freaking disaster. More pics to come. The one with the 90's has a 45 from the PCV 90 to the horizontal run. It sits in the valley between the head and intake nicely and the only part really visible after installation is at the PCV at the back of the head. This is 5052 aluminum tubing for auto/marine. Got to thinking different intakes will make the U-turn different lengths. This is built for an Edelbrock F4B. I did the bubbles with the Eastwood flaring tool. Worked great.

Reactions: Woodchuck

·
Registered
64 1/2 D Code Coupe,
3,355 Posts
Why use the nipple on the front of the carburetor at all? Most intakes have a threaded fitting in the rear of the plenum for PCV, or you could use the ford spacer with the fitting.
Agreed, Cap off the nipple in the front of the carb and either do as Lightning mentioned of use a phenolic spacer with a PCV port. Not only does it put the PCV port in the rear, it also isolates the carb from heat. I swapped out the Ford OEM spacer tor this and it seals better than stock as well. Trans-Dapt Performance Carburetor Spacers 2584

·
Registered
5,325 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
My carb is on a phenolic spacer without a port. If I had to buy a spacer with a port that's $31 + shipping (in your link) and I have to remove and reinstall the carb. I don't have that much cost in my solution right now and all I have to do is install the line. Easy-peasy.

·
Registered
64 1/2 D Code Coupe,
3,355 Posts
My carb is on a phenolic spacer without a port. If I had to buy a spacer with a port that's $31 + shipping (in your link) and I have to remove and reinstall the carb. I don't have that much cost in my solution right now and all I have to do is install the line. Easy-peasy.
When you're done, post some pictures of the finished product.

·
Registered
5,325 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Ok, got some hose and spring clamps and went to work when I got home.
1. First pic is the before, closeup. I just want to say I am not responsible for this messed up engine bay. It is as found after purchase. Hose under the air cleaner is the PCV hose. Next one down is a giant loop of fuel line that's getting replaced next. Third hose is a giant loop back on the heater. Also to get sorted here shortly.
2. Installed. Took all of 5 minutes because I was taking pictures, lol. It is a hair short on the front to back run and on the riser to the carb. Have noted this in the build measurements (+1/4").
3. Installed again, different angle which shows the 45 bend up to the PCV elbow. I can run it all the way flat too and rise up at the end. Was just going for minimal material and lowest restriction.

Let me know what you think. It sits in the valley well. I might add an O-ring or two just to keep it off the valve cover.

·
Registered
64 1/2 D Code Coupe,
3,355 Posts
Ok, got some hose and spring clamps and went to work when I got home.
1. First pic is the before, closeup. I just want to say I am not responsible for this messed up engine bay. It is as found after purchase. Hose under the air cleaner is the PCV hose. Next one down is a giant loop of fuel line that's getting replaced next. Third hose is a giant loop back on the heater. Also to get sorted here shortly.
2. Installed. Took all of 5 minutes because I was taking pictures, lol. It is a hair short on the front to back run and on the riser to the carb. Have noted this in the build measurements (+1/4").
3. Installed again, different angle which shows the 45 bend up to the PCV elbow. I can run it all the way flat too and rise up at the end. Was just going for minimal material and lowest restriction.

Let me know what you think. It sits in the valley well. I might add an O-ring or two just to keep it off the valve cover.

View attachment 741385
View attachment 741386
View attachment 741387
Looks a lot cleaner than the rubber PCV hose. While you're on a roll maybe you could fashion a metal fuel line. and plumb in an inline fuel filter.

·
Registered
1,626 Posts
Very clean, but you might look at the factory heater hose routing. I believe your solution and the heater hoses would end up occupying the same space. I'm just mentioning it as a consideration if you intend to market it to a large group. I don't believe many would reroute their heater hoses to accommodate your part. You may want to address your hoses and modify this part to clear them. I personally love this kind of stuff!

·
Registered
11,143 Posts
using the front , the primaries help keep the PCV gunk washed away better than the secondaries would. In theory anyway

·
Just some guy
67 coupe, 69 Sportsroof, 86 hatchback
21,412 Posts
Hmmm, it looks like it would interfere with my Spectre fuel line. Given a choice of the two, I'd have to keep the fuel line. I consider one mandatory on my Edelbrocks, they're too slick. Never have understood why Edelbrock thinks we want a fuel hose sticking straight out the side of our carburetors. Probably the same guy who thought to putting the PCV port up front was a good idea, right?

·
Registered
37,717 Posts
Need a 5/8" tube to run down with the PCV line for the heater outlet... and make it a compression or flared coupling so no rubber hose. LOL.

·
Premium Member
7,441 Posts
Nice work! Looks very clean.

·
Registered
5,325 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Great comments! Thanks and keep them coming.
On the routing of the heater hoses: I believe they will still lie in the same place. I bent the tubing to lay in the bottom of the valley between the head and intake. The heater hoses will simply lie on top of it in the front to back run. I do like Woodchuck's hard line idea for the heater hose. That would really clean that area up. The factory placement has always looked to me like a '[email protected], what are we going to do here?' moment.
Fuel Line: That is a slick part. That is the next piece I'm going to tackle. I will take a pic from the front down low so you can see how that run lays. Could always add a half moon bend to clear the connector end which looks like where they would interfere.
Vac Line: Would like to clean this up too. There's a lot going on in a small space in the front of the carb. Kind of like how Windows shoves all the menu items you need in the upper left corner to maximize the possibility of a mis-click. My fave was 'Delete' being right below the 'Rename' in the drop-down.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts