Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello, long time listener, first time caller.

I picked up a '72 Fastback basically out of a field a year ago as a budget father / son project. The car was in OK shape other than being full of black widows but a solid foundation. Hardly any rust and overall in decent shape. We had virtually no recent history on the car so it's been a bit of a process figuring out what's up with it. It has a 351C 4V and come to find it has roller rockers, guide plates etc, so some work had been done. Oh and one little thing was it had no trans in it. The previous owner had started an auto to manual conversion so the trans was gone as were the pedals. There was however a new in box Tremec T56 Magnum 6 speed in a box in the back seat and a number of other pieces and parts like the bell housing, hydraulic clutch etc.

We've been plugging away getting things going and have it running and driving, but still a ways from where I would say we are ready to go just drive it around. The hydraulic clutch has been problematic since day one and just last weekend I think I blew out the seals on the slave so I think I need to pull the trans yet again ..ugh! We did a lot of the work ourselves and had some help from a local shop that was great to work with but not really their bag to do stuff like reworking pedals and the clutch setup. So if anyone knows a good mechanic in San Diego that is also affordable, I'd be interested. Talked to a couple local speed shops and they are just out of our range right now if I want to stay married.

Here she is in all her glory.

·
Premium Member
9,900 Posts
The '71/'72/'73 cars have lagged the '65-'70 cars in popularity. You can still find some excellent bargains on the '71-'73 cars. There are a couple of colors that really set off the style of the '71-'73 Fastbacks- Yellow, Red and Grabber Blue look outstanding to me with the Mach 1 style stripes and blacked out hood.

Here's a couple of good examples currently for sale:
https://www.garagekeptmotors.com/vehicles/860/1972-ford-mustang-mach-1
https://www.garagekeptmotors.com/vehicles/814/1973-ford-mustang-mach-1

Compare those prices to the price of this '70 Mach 1:
https://www.garagekeptmotors.com/vehicles/727/1970-ford-mustang-mach-1

·
Registered
2,082 Posts
Black is always good on a Mustang and that is NO exception! I hope you get the trans issues solved and get to enjoy it. Since it had black windows in it, I can see a theme emerging in a black car.........

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
It looks good at about 50'. Working on getting down to a 20 footer then closer. Right now the plan is to wrap it in matte black and basically black everything else out. The trunk is wrapped in black. And thanks, we've done a ton of work to the car and have a bunch more ready to go, but none of that matters if we can't get the thing to drive decently.

·
Registered
3,194 Posts
I have a love for the 70s Mustangs. Once owned a 71 Boss 351. I remember as a youngster the first time I saw a slant back 71 Mach 1, thought it looked like it had just rolled off the race track.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks, me as well of course. For some reason I keep running into old timers that love to tell me how big and heavy it is. Drove it to the auto parts store a couple weeks ago and old dude says "That's great. Too bad it's the heaviest Mustang they ever made"

Can't just respect the old car for what it is? It's like saying "your wife seems nice, too bad she's so fat". Thanks buddy.

·
Premium Member
2,275 Posts
Thanks, me as well of course. For some reason I keep running into old timers that love to tell me how big and heavy it is. Drove it to the auto parts store a couple weeks ago and old dude says "That's great. Too bad it's the heaviest Mustang they ever made"

Can't just respect the old car for what it is? It's like saying "your wife seems nice, too bad she's so fat". Thanks buddy.
unfortunately someone always has something to say. Love these cars! I always laughed when people told me my power steering pump was going out on my 04 lightning.

·
Registered
663 Posts
Everybody loves the early classic Mustangs, but I honestly love the later '69-72 body style. That's a beautiful car you've got, love the black on black.

·
Registered
856 Posts
Welcome! My hubby owns the gold Mach at the top of the VMF banner :). I'm of no help with sourcing a mechanic, but have you joined the 7173mustangs.com forum? Someone there might know of someone!

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I have actually thanks. I just spend a fair bit of time over here, so thought I'd check in and say hi and while I'm at it, ask about mechanics. Thanks again!

·
Registered
8,913 Posts
Invest in a set of Magnum 500's....or stock wheels with dog dish hubcaps. Your car will look a million times better... Those current wheels look like they belong on a '94 Corvette..lol..

Congrats on the find!

:eek:)

Tony K.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Why hate on Corvettes? :smile2:

Yea, I don't love them. These will have to do for awhile as It doesn't really matter much what wheels are on there if I can't drive the thing. They are wheels from a mid '90's SVT, so at least in the family.

That said, when I do finally replace them, I will be going more modern and larger than original. I know some people will hate on that, but the car isn't original already, so I'm just going to do what I like rather than try to make it look like it was when it was new or worry about being period correct. Really aiming toward something that scares children rather than pleases fellow old guys.

·
Registered
2,082 Posts
You can always tell the naysayers, "It may be a heavy Mustang but it's still a black stallion that will smoke your ________(fill in the blank with their junk)_____.

Black that thing out put a red hourglass front tag on it, a personalized WDWMKR or BLKWDW tag on the back and build that Cleveland to better-than-Boss specs then make sure they get a good look at those tail lights.

Oooooo... maybe an hourglass-shaped pattern of LEDs...

·
Registered
3,652 Posts
My sister had a 72 Mach 1 with a 351C with a two barrel. That thing would get up and move off the line. It took some time to get use to seeing out that rear window, but I drove it an awful lot until her stupid boyfriend totaled it on the freeway.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts