Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all. I'm doing a clutch job on my '66 Mustang - 289 Engine, 3.03 Manual 3 speed transmission. The transmission is fine but I was wondering, since I'm going to have to remove the transmission anyway, if there is a new, more modern 3 speed transmission that I can use instead of the old - looking for something that is a an easy swap, using the same transmission mount, flywheel, shifter link rods, pilot bearing & bell housing - or am I just stuck with the old transmission? Thanks

·
Registered
1967 Mustang GT fastback
4,019 Posts
Well, the old 3.03 is a great transmission in its own right. It is a Toploader, so most or all of the features that made the 4 speed top loader bulletproof apply to the 3.03 as well. Mine took decades of abuse before I put the 4 speed in, and it was still pretty good and fun to drive when I took it out. I'd keep the 3.03. Some people say the gearing even gives slightly better dig off the line that the 4 speed too. I can't think of a modern 3 speed I'd put in place of it, as far as that goes.

·
Registered
7,352 Posts
There are modern 3 speed manual transmissions that people race with but you probably won't like the price tags. Liberty, Lenco and Jericho are 3 that I can think of. I don't know if it is class related or engine and rear gear related but apparently in some configurations of race car more gears is not necessarily better. My brother drag raced a 67 Impala that would get air under the front wheels on launch and he ran a manual 3 speed with it and did well.

·
Premium Member
13,154 Posts
"Modern 3 speed manual" is an oxymoron. I don't remember seeing a car with a manual 3 speed in the last 30 years or so. Everything now is 5 and 6 speed manual or automatic. A 4 speed Toploader or T10 of the '60s and '70s would be an upgrade from your 3 speed and they are a direct replacement for your 3 speed..

·
Registered
896 Posts
Hey all. I'm doing a clutch job on my '66 Mustang - 289 Engine, 3.03 Manual 3 speed transmission. The transmission is fine but I was wondering, since I'm going to have to remove the transmission anyway, if there is a new, more modern 3 speed transmission that I can use instead of the old - looking for something that is a an easy swap, using the same transmission mount, flywheel, shifter link rods, pilot bearing & bell housing - or am I just stuck with the old transmission? Thanks
in a word no .

1 - 6 of 6 Posts