Vintage Mustang Forums banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
664 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
No hate mail please. I have had a set of flares that I have been thinking about putting on for years. Always fighting with tire clearance. Not wanting to bond on or remake metal ones, just a quick easy to replace good, not great flare that I can replace and paint off the car. Car is nowhere legal for any vintage racing stuff so not worried there. Looking for pictures and ideas. Current tire setup, which is tight and can vary from manufacturer (Hoosier, American Racer) front 26.5/8/15 and rear is 27/10/15. Listed tire sizes are misleading, the fronts are over 10 inches wide and the backs are over 13 inches.
Thanks

·
Registered
8,420 Posts
If you’re not vintage racing the car, who cares what you have to do to fit the tires you want! Mount whatever you need to get where you want to be. Damn the naysayers!!

It would be a blast to run giant radials on these old cars. It sure pisses off the new car owners

Mark

·
Premium Member
68 Mustang Coupe
4,586 Posts
So you're gonna put on flares and then cut up your car for clearance?

·
Registered
1967 Convertible, 5.0HO EFI, AOD
499 Posts

·
Registered
7,474 Posts
Flares don't do any much good other than looks if you leave the stock metal in place. I flared my front fenders some and have a set of mild rear flares on my car. Unless you have laser vision you can't really detect them. I did open up the rear fenders just as much as needed and slightly bent the lip outward so the flares would have a closer bond to the metal. I stitch welded the outer wheel houses back to the quarter metal. I also filled the inside of that seam between the quarter and outer wheel house completely with seam sealer. I run 255's on the back but I could run 275's or 28 x 10 slicks or street drag tires if I really needed to. I don't think 315's would fit but I don't care to run those. Considering how much metal work I've been through on this car now if I ever wanted to un-do those it would be notta big deal at this point.

·
Registered
1,852 Posts
Maier racing has rivet on flares as well as a Company called Clinched Flares. Some folks also run abs plastic
Flares originally designed for 240z nissans

·
Registered
664 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Maier racing has rivet on flares as well as a Company called Clinched Flares. Some folks also run abs plastic
Flares originally designed for 240z nissans
interesting, 240z flares for the front?

·
Dimples
5,995 Posts
I got a set of cheap generic plastic flares online for my rowdy 64.5 coupe build. I haven’t gotten to fitting them yet, but I’m excited. On one hand, I don’t care how it looks, but on the other hand, I think it’ll look awesome, lol.

·
Super Moderator
11,255 Posts
If you’re not vintage racing the car, who cares what you have to do to fit the tires you want! Mount whatever you need to get where you want to be. Damn the naysayers!!

It would be a blast to run giant radials on these old cars. It sure pisses off the new car owners

Mark
Agreed, track cars get a pass, function before form in this case.

·
Registered
1,852 Posts
interesting, 240z flares for the front?
Yes, 240z flares. There is a West coast guy with a June bug green 69 coupe running them in auto cross events. I think his name is Richard Trujillo. I think Chad Ryker knows him. The flares look pretty good.

·
Registered
664 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Updates, like them or hate them, added much needed room. Debating on painting on or off the car. Probably run them in primer for a while.

I got a set of cheap generic plastic flares online for my rowdy 64.5 coupe build. I haven’t gotten to fitting them yet, but I’m excited. On one hand, I don’t care how it looks, but on the other hand, I think it’ll look awesome, lol.
No hate mail please. I have had a set of flares that I have been thinking about putting on for years. Always fighting with tire clearance. Not wanting to bond on or remake metal ones, just a quick easy to replace good, not great flare that I can replace and paint off the car. Car is nowhere legal for any vintage racing stuff so not worried there. Looking for pictures and ideas. Current tire setup, which is tight and can vary from manufacturer (Hoosier, American Racer) front 26.5/8/15 and rear is 27/10/15. Listed tire sizes are misleading, the fronts are over 10 inches wide and the backs are over 13 inches.
Thanks

·
Registered
1,852 Posts
1 - 20 of 28 Posts