Vintage Mustang Forums banner
21 - 28 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
664 Posts
Discussion Starter · #21 ·
No hate mail please. I have had a set of flares that I have been thinking about putting on for years. Always fighting with tire clearance. Not wanting to bond on or remake metal ones, just a quick easy to replace good, not great flare that I can replace and paint off the car. Car is nowhere legal for any vintage racing stuff so not worried there. Looking for pictures and ideas. Current tire setup, which is tight and can vary from manufacturer (Hoosier, American Racer) front 26.5/8/15 and rear is 27/10/15. Listed tire sizes are misleading, the fronts are over 10 inches wide and the backs are over 13 inches.
Thanks
Update, got some room to play with now. Looking forward to a full day of metal prep and a few thousand spot welds, overhead of course.

·
Registered
1,852 Posts
Making progress. So you just cut a notch in the front flare for the fender ridge? Xacto knife on the plastic? Why not put the same flare on the back? I’m going to flare my 69 at some point to allow a square 335 x 18 setup....
a coworker is a several time SCCA auto cross nationals winner. His advise is to first run the widest tires your rules allow Because it increases mechanical grip. Since Mutang has no rules, I expect to see slicks from a nascar modified on there soon.

·
Registered
664 Posts
Discussion Starter · #23 ·
The fronts are fiberglass, so a cutoff wheel there. I thought about the same flares in the back, but need a little more room and flares made for the mustang are available for $79 each at the time...The tire in the picture is a NASCAR type slick

·
Registered
664 Posts
Discussion Starter · #25 ·
Making progress. So you just cut a notch in the front flare for the fender ridge? Xacto knife on the plastic? Why not put the same flare on the back? I’m going to flare my 69 at some point to allow a square 335 x 18 setup....
a coworker is a several time SCCA auto cross nationals winner. His advise is to first run the widest tires your rules allow Because it increases mechanical grip. Since Mutang has no rules, I expect to see slicks from a nascar modified on there soon.
Used a little CAD process I use to get the cuts precise, (Cardboard Aided Design)

21 - 28 of 28 Posts