Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I currently have a bench seat. I realize they are rare and when I owned my 65' back in the 80's everybody would ooh and ahh when they saw a bench seat. I prefer the buckets any day over the bench seat...but I will keep the bench seat because it is rare in the garage for people to sit on. So I'm in the market for new seats and I have searched and read and searched and read and people like BMW, SN95, and Fiero seats but I want something that will drop in and that still looks close to the 64.5-66 seats. I am 6' 1" so I need a seat that doesn't raise the bottom by 2".

I was found these seats and thought they looked pretty good. Anybody have any experience or opinions with these?

https://www.classiccarinterior.com/1964-1966-mustang-sport-r-pro-series-seats-deluxe-lowback-w-headrests.html

Thanks

·
Registered
1,186 Posts
Great goodness......
Spare no expense, eh!
Pretty I guess, but not for the money....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
33,886 Posts
If I was going to do bucket seats that didn't look TOO out of place, I'd pick some FOX-body Mustang seats, lose the headrests, and have them covered in a "period" leather or leatherette pattern. You'd have the support of the "modern" seat, and an adjustable backrest. Yes, I'd ABSOLUTELY install a heater in the base and the back!

·
Registered
1,841 Posts
I like the new TMI seats upholstered with the Pony Interior style stuff. Looks right in the car. So do the 69-70 seats.

·
Registered
4,727 Posts

·
Registered
20,060 Posts
I got a super great deal on a set of Procar seats from my old boss. He must of used them a handful of times. Anyway I'm 6' 170 pounds it it's tight. I don't have much head room and between my stock steering wheel and seat bolsters it's a bit tight getting in and out

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
:grin2: So, you don't have a girlfriend, eh?
My wife didn't like her.

I like the new TMI seats upholstered with the Pony Interior style stuff. Looks right in the car. So do the 69-70 seats.
Do the 69-70' come with Pony Deluxe style?

Those are great seats but way over priced at that store. They are made by TMI and list for $600 lower than that price.

https://www.tmiproducts.com/ford/classic-mustang-1964-1973/1965-mustang/complete-seats/pro-series-universal-sport-low-back-seats-w-headrest/
These are listed as Universal not sure if that makes a difference in cost, the cost on the ones I list are specifically for the Mustang and have the pony interior. I'm assuming that's why they cost more maybe?

I got a super great deal on a set of Procar seats from my old boss. He must of used them a handful of times. Anyway I'm 6' 170 pounds it it's tight. I don't have much head room and between my stock steering wheel and seat bolsters it's a bit tight getting in and out

This is the exact thing I'm worried about and why I thought I would ask. The install video on CJPony parts from TMI states that there are 3 height adjustment settings. I don't want to spend that much money on a pair of seats that are going to sit me up 2" higher that what I'm at now. TMI states there are three different height settings, can go back 3" further on the track, plus can recline. I wonder if there is a difference between what you have and the newer ones??

·
Registered
1,244 Posts
I currently have a bench seat. I realize they are rare and when I owned my 65' back in the 80's everybody would ooh and ahh when they saw a bench seat. I prefer the buckets any day over the bench seat...but I will keep the bench seat because it is rare in the garage for people to sit on. So I'm in the market for new seats and I have searched and read and searched and read and people like BMW, SN95, and Fiero seats but I want something that will drop in and that still looks close to the 64.5-66 seats. I am 6' 1" so I need a seat that doesn't raise the bottom by 2".

I was found these seats and thought they looked pretty good. Anybody have any experience or opinions with these?

https://www.classiccarinterior.com/1964-1966-mustang-sport-r-pro-series-seats-deluxe-lowback-w-headrests.html

Thanks

As far as drop in...very little will drop in...but MK1(69-74) Capri seats look as close as you can reasonably get to stock 65-66 seats...dont think I have ever seen anything else that is as close...but unlike 65-66 seats, they actually have some good side bolstering.

·
Registered
1,186 Posts
I’m going though this right now with BlakeTx help.
Trying to decide final steps.

Options:
1) recover my green 68 seats to black TMI mach 1 style. Prob $1000 all in.

2) I’ve just picked up a nice set of 70 seats that will need to be recovered to black Mach 1 style.
Cost would be about same. $1000-1200

3) Blake Tx turned me onto Acura RSX seats. With some work to remove factory tracks and bolt straight in by fabricating mounts they look pretty good.
These will also have to be recovered. Cost about $1500-2000 to do them right so the back would match the front.

Here are all three side by side.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Super Moderator
8,860 Posts
Not a fan of anything other than the old stock seats, everything else just looks so out of place to me. :|

·
Registered
6,710 Posts
Seem expensive. If you still have your original seat frames, what I did was restore mine which needed some clean up, bit of welding, rust removal and new paint then I got new TMI foam and seat covers for them. I plan to add the head rests later. Cost significantly less than what you are looking at with those but then I was able to keep my original seat frames.

·
Registered
11 Posts

Attachments

·
Registered
1,739 Posts

that was the problem with the '95 gt seats I tried, too much work getting in and out of the car

·
Registered
74 Posts

Thanks
I just pulled my Black Pony Seats out of my 66 they even have the sliders that I rebuilt. I was just fixing to put them on EBAY or something. Don't really think I'll ever put them back in the car and no need let rot away in the garage or attic. PM me if your interested.

Attachments

·
Registered
20,060 Posts
that was the problem with the '95 gt seats I tried, too much work getting in and out of the car
Forgot to mention I have them on the lowest and farthest back location too. I don't know how my old boss was getting in and out. He's maybe slightly taller with about 60 pounds on me. He said make me an offer. I truly believe if I said $10 he would have taken it. All I could afford was $250 and that's what I paid. Seat tracks too!

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter #20

Thanks
I got these seats from TMI today and all I can say is that they are sturdy and beautiful. Can't wait to drop them in, instructions say they sit 1" lower than and slide 3" further back than OEM.

1 - 20 of 43 Posts