Vintage Mustang Forums banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Premium Member
1966 Mustang Hardtop 289 4 Speed
7,323 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This came to mind last night. I ended up buying a SD extra capacity oil pan, didn't read that in the specs. Anywho, I don't see any advantage to the extra capacity if the stock pickup tube is not sitting in that extra quart. What say ye?

·
Registered
'66 Convertible 200/c4 Vintage Inline Headers with Arvinode Duals
231 Posts
Why would you need to pick up from the bottom of the pan? Yes the oil might be a degree or maybe 2 cooler but as long as there is enough oil to cover the pick-up tube it shouldn't matter where the tube is. That said, if you're running a road course where the oil may slosh to one side, the deeper into the pan the better so you don't suck air and lose pressure.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Is the pan deeper or is it wider, like a Cobra T pan? If it is deeper, the pickup needs to be replaced as well. If it is standard depth but wider, the original pickup should be fine.

·
Registered
5,732 Posts
I guess if you were hellbent on winning the argument you might say that there would be some portion of oil thats always below which takes longer to be picked up and pumped through the engine so it stays cooler and so the hot oil drains down and mixes with it making it a bit cooler before it gets pumped through again. Otherwise its just one bolt to change the pick-up

·
Registered
67 Fastback T5 331 TCI Frt End, Canted 4 link rear susp
1,146 Posts
I've been told extra oil capacity helps an engine during high RPM where more oil may be in the upper engine before it has time to drain back.

·
Registered
5,141 Posts
For a DD I see zero advantage to more oil unless the engine builder calls for more oil.

What I do see is more expense at oil change time.

Reactions: BrianBodzenta

·
Registered
967 Posts
Not sure about the pan you bought. But most deep oil pans have windage trays and sometimes scrapers which help.

·
Registered
1969 Mach 1 Restomod
127 Posts
I think you want the oil pickup close to the bottom of the pan. Around 1/4"-3/8" off the bottom if I remember correctly. It may work being 2" up from the bottom, but definitely not recommended. The oil can develop a vortex and actually suck air from the surface or uncover in a hard turn. It seems like a engine is an awfully expensive part to gamble with.

·
Registered
3,022 Posts
I think you want the oil pickup close to the bottom of the pan. Around 1/4"-3/8" off the bottom if I remember correctly. It may work being 2" up from the bottom, but definitely not recommended. The oil can develop a vortex and actually suck air from the surface or uncover in a hard turn. It seems like a engine is an awfully expensive part to gamble with.
Yup...depends on the size of the pickup head, but the imaginary curtain around the pickup should have as much area as the pickup has at a minimum. I little bigger is good but a lot bigger is not necessarily OK. Larger stock pickups may only need 1/4" (I like 3/8") while other smaller pickups such as Canton require at least 3/8". Once you get the new pan measure how much deeper it is. It's probably an inch or so deeper and I would definitely get the longer pickup for peace of mind.

·
Premium Member
5,702 Posts
Looks stock to me. The SD Boss 302 6 qt pan comes with the proper pickup. It worked fine for spited driving until I got too spirited in my driving. Canton 8 qt currently. As @blkfrd mentioned 3/8" is safe on SBF's.

Reactions: 2nd 66

·
Registered
5,676 Posts
Having the pickup further away from the bottom negates the point of having extra capacity as that extra oil can never be picked up.

Run the proper pickup for the pan. It may be cheaper for you buy the pickup than to return the deep pan for a stock pan.

·
Registered
994 Posts
I grabbed this screen shot from the questions and answer section. Ground clearance could also be an issue depending how low your car is.

Hood Automotive tire Automotive lighting Vehicle Motor vehicle

1 - 20 of 28 Posts