Vintage Mustang Forums banner
21 - 28 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
5,187 Posts
More oil, more it will dissipate heat.
So does a remote dual filter or a remote oil cooler or a larger capacity more efficient radiator.

Where does it end?

·
Premium Member
5,711 Posts
The notes for the 1st one I linked.
Notes:
Pan is deeper than a factory pan.

It takes 6 quarts of oil.
The notes for the 1st one I linked.
Notes:
Pan is deeper than a factory pan.

It takes 6 quarts of oil.
So that makes it possibly the SD boss 302 pan without the appropriate pick up or baffle? I would return it and order the proper pan for your needs. My SD boss 302 pan hung pretty low for the street!

·
Registered
11,284 Posts
I'm using the SD B2 pan and pickup in my 66 . I rather like it, at least more than the stock pan and pickup I was using. My car is lowered a good bit and I haven't had any issues.

·
Premium Member
1966 Mustang Hardtop 289 4 Speed
7,350 Posts
Discussion Starter · #24 ·

·
Registered
3,027 Posts
I can't return it since I've had it too long. I am thinking I'll order a stock Milodon pan with the baffle. FORD Milodon 30720 Milodon Stock Replacement Oil Pans | Summit Racing
Is your car stock ride height? If yes, I would get the correct pickup and use it. I say this because I have an 8 quart Canton T pan that hangs down just as much as the pan in the pic in the previous post and my car is lowered quite a bit. I've never had a problem with the pan hitting. I don't have super stiff springs either. My pan sits 5-3/4" from the ground. My pan is 8" deep and the 6 quart pan looks like it is about the same depth based on the pic. If your car is not lowered, I think you should be just fine. Your suspension bumpers will stop the suspension from over-compressing if you hit a hard bump.

·
Registered
82 Posts
The B2 oil pan was a factory 5qt capacity pan with a baffle and a slightly modified pickup. You can put 6qts in it, but it is a 5qt pan. They held 6qts due to the addition of an external oil cooler. Measure the pan from the pan rail to the bottom of the sump to compare the depth differences.

·
Registered
968 Posts
This old thread might help a little:

21 - 28 of 28 Posts