Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3,009 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What would it cost to change the oil pan gasket on a 1966 Mercury Monterey with a 410 FE motor (same as a 390 and 428)? I can do it myself but if it’s reasonable to have someone else do it, I’d rather just avoid the headache.

·
Premium Member
2,142 Posts
So much depends on your location as well as Finding a shop willing and capable would probably the biggest hurdles. No way I'd take it to the average shop. When I lived in Tulsa shop rate was an average of about 100-125$ an hour. Here in rural mn its 45-75$.

·
Registered
680 Posts
I know they're not the same, but my dad's van with a 351M received quotes between $550 and $700 to change the oil pan gasket. They talked about having to pull the intake and raise that engine.
I finally got pissed off as it was parked in my driveway leaking oil every time it was started and did it my self in less than an hour. I cleaned it with brake cleaner, dropped the pan 2 or 3 inches, cleaned it again and brought the gasket up and around the oil pan.

·
Registered
9,033 Posts
FE gaskets are usually one piece. You can drop the pan down, scrape off the remnants and weasel the new one around the pan and up into place. Easy-peasy compared to the 4 piece cork and rubber units of the later engines.

An honest shop would only charge you an hour or two, but good luck finding one.

·
Registered
97 Posts
Make sure your diagnosis is accurate.
In my experience, the oil pan gasket fails less often than the rear main crank seal.
Also, consider that the back of the intake manifold gasket or RTV seal is also a trouble spot for oil leaks. Clean the block off very thoroughly and then run the motor looking for fresh leaks. The solution to your leak will make it self apparent.

·
Registered
3,009 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Make sure your diagnosis is accurate.
In my experience, the oil pan gasket fails less often than the rear main crank seal.
Also, consider that the back of the intake manifold gasket or RTV seal is also a trouble spot for oil leaks. Clean the block off very thoroughly and then run the motor looking for fresh leaks. The solution to your leak will make it self apparent.
There’s no leak, I have to drop the pan to clean some old gasket out of the engine that fell in while I was taking it apart.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts