Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2,704 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The water pump on my 427 took a dump. Coolant started leaking pretty bad from it after driving it so temporarily I'll just put a rebuilt pump from a parts store on it but I'd like to get my original rebuilt since it's an original lightweight aluminum FE unit from Ford. Do any of you have any recommendations where I can get it done?

·
Registered
1,208 Posts
I have a good relationship with my local parts store. When you buy a reman part, they usually need the core in return. I was talking with the parts store owner and he said he could contact the supplier and see about buying the core back. They said no problem. For the cost of the reman part, I had my original water pump rebuilt. I also did the same with the alternator. I gave them my greasy, corroded alternator and got it back a few weeks later rebuilt looking all shiny and new for $34, the cost of a reman one. They just tagged the original so they knew where to send it back and all was good!

·
Registered
2,704 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I have a good relationship with the Carquest store here in town too, (I used to work there on my days off) so I'll try asking them if that's a possibility to do. That would work out great for me if I could as long as they didn't lose my original pump. What parts company did that for you Ryan?

·
Registered
2,704 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
No he meant he sent his original core in for a rebuild and they sent the same core back as a rebuilt unit and only charged him the price of an exchange unit.
I am buying one and paying the core charge just to get it back together for now. I'm trying to find someplace that will rebuild my leaking pump and send the same one back to me. Then I'll replace the rebuilt one I'm putting on now.

·
Registered
738 Posts
There are numerous vendors in Hemmings who will rebuild your original water pump...and you don't have to worry that you will not receive your original back.

·
Registered
86 Posts
Always worry that you get your original parts back.With the prices of nos stuff and this economy watch out.Have heard stories of platers "losing" parts in the tank because they sold them to someone else.If you can find a rebuild kit and have a press and a shop manual then do it yourself.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts